Seahawks News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 14, 2004
NFL admits two missed interference calls in Seahawks-Chiefs

RENTON, Wash. — Vice president of officiating Dean Blandino informed Seattle Seahawks coach Pete Carroll on Thursday that Bill Leavy's crew should have called pass interference against Kansas City Chiefs cornerback Sean Smith for shoving receiver Doug Baldwin off his bid to catch a 2-yard touchdown pass with 6:33 left in Seattle's 24-20 loss last Sunday.

Carroll told USA TODAY Sports Thursday the league admitted to a pair of blown pass interference calls, including one against receiver Jermaine Kearse. But the costly one proved to be Smith's shove of Baldwin.

"The interpretation was it definitely played a factor in (Baldwin's) route and it should have been called," Carroll said. "There's nothing you can do about it. You just have to live with it. That's just part of the game."

Baldwin was clearly knocked off his corner fade route as he tracked quarterback Russell Wilson's throw from the Kansas City 2-yard line towards the back of the end zone.

Though the Seahawks had two more possessions, they never got close to scoring again.

"Pete just came up to me today and told me the NFL came back and said, 'It should have been a penalty,' " Baldwin said. "Pete said, 'It's unfortunate. We move ahead. And we're not worried about it.' "

Baldwin complained after the game that he was the victim of Smith's push.

"Obviously, on the play, I was extremely upset because I knew it was a PI," Baldwin said. "I'm tracking the ball. Then all of a sudden, I get shoved from behind."

It wasn't incidental contact as Baldwin had no chance to catch Wilson's pass after getting pushed to the right as Wilson's fade fell incomplete in front of the pylon at the back left side of the end zone.

Ironically, holding and illegal use of hands by defensive players in pass coverage became points of emphasis by the league's competition committee this season with the crackdown driven by the physical play of the 2013 Seahawks "Legion of Boom" secondary that helped Seattle force a league-best 39 takeaways last season.

By rule, pass interference is any act that significantly hinders an eligible player's ability to catch a pass.

"I was upset after the game. And now I've just let it go," said Baldwin, who leads the Seahawks with 44 receptions for 485 yards and two touchdowns.

"The refs are human, too. We all make mistakes."

NFL admits two missed interference calls in Seahawks-Chiefs

Props: BUTCHER 206

BUTCHER 206

FREE BUTCHER206
Aug 22, 2003
Seattle, WA
Some numbers for the ppl that think they matter:

Seahawks 6-4, Cardinals 9-1
Cardinals average 23.7 pts a game we average 26.4.

Cardinals are rated 14th in team offense we're rated 11th.

Cardinals passing offense is rated 12th, Seahawks is rated 31st out of 32

Cardinals rushing offense: 31st, Seahawks 1st

Cardinals are 30th in kick / punt returns, we are 6th.

Cardinals 2nd in team defense, Seahawks 12th

Cardinals 27th in pass defense, Seahawks 2nd

Cardinals 3rd in rush defense, Seahawks 7th

Cardinals 3rd in kick / punt returns against, Seahawks 27th

BUTCHER 206

FREE BUTCHER206
Aug 22, 2003
Seattle, WA
The cardinals haven't played outdoors for an entire month. You think that missed fieldgoal was a product of playing outdoors? Ihope it starts raining a little and they start coughing the ball up every other play lol