The official 2014 Raiders offseason thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
Now the pressure is on Dennis Allen, the Raiders have had a very good draft and the roster is deep. Anything less than 8-8, DA is in trouble.

Chree

Medicated
Dec 7, 2005
yeah dat. I need a new jersey anyway and mack is the real deal. also kind of want to get gabe "big smooth" jackson #66 jersey. he could very likely be a starting guard for us for the next 10 years.
Lol @ calling somebody whose never taken an nfl snap "the real deal"

P.E.

Sicc OG
Feb 24, 2003
The Raiders have signed free agent DE Denico Autry.To make room on the roster, the Raiders have waived DT David Carter

Apr 26, 2003
East Oakland, USA
10 Raiders OTA observations

ALAMEDA, Calif. -- The Oakland Raiders opened the first of three voluntary OTA sessions Tuesday with a helmet-and-shorts practice open to the media. Following are 10 observations (the Raiders have a new ‘blind-eye’ policy against reporting certain things) from the session ...

1.Linebacker Kevin Burnett, who started last season at weakside linebacker, was not in attendance. Might the drafting of Khalil Mack at No. 5 overall have had an affect on Burnet being the only "healthy" name player to not be at the opening practice of OTAs? So why wasn’t he here? "Because it’s voluntary," coach Dennis Allen said. "I’ve had communication with Kevin this whole time and, again, this is a voluntary camp. Players can make their own decisions and they’ve got families and things in their personal lives that they’ve got to make sure that they take care of so I’m not concerned about that at all."

2.Asked if strong safety Tyvon Branch could see time at cornerback, Allen smiled. "You
know, I like versatility."

3.Allen acknowledged he would consider putting veteran Maurice Jones-Drew out there to field punts. "We’re considering anything," he said. "That’s what this time of year is for, so yeah, we’re going to look at a lot of things." For what it’s worth, Jones-Drew has returned 15 punts in his career for 133 yards, an average of 8.9 yards per return.

4.There is no depth chart, according to Allen. "To be honest, we really don’t have No. 1s, No. 2s, No. 3s on the depth chart," he said. "We’re out here practicing football. All that stuff, by the time we get to the first game, that will all take care of itself." And yet, there definitely seemed to be first-team units.

5.D.J. Hayden looks like a different player, and that’s what the Raiders want out of the second-year cornerback. It behooves Oakland for Hayden to claim one of the starting cornerback spots, perhaps opposite Tarell Brown, with Carlos Rogers playing the slot.

6.Juron Criner. Remember him? The third-year receiver who put on a show at his rookie camp and then his first OTAs two years ago before disappearing had several tough catches and impressed in traffic down the sidelines. He is going to have to stand out significantly to make the roster this season, it would appear.

7.The closest Allen would come to saying who was a true No. 1 was, again, quarterback Matt Schaub. A year ago at this time, the Raiders quarterbacks were Matt Flynn, Terrelle Pryor, Tyler Wilson and Matt McGloin. Now, the foursome is made up of Schaub, McGloin, second-round draft pick Derek Carr and veteran Trent Edwards. "Yeah, I think we got a heck of a quarterback room, I really do," Allen said. "Really, I think we’ve got four quarterbacks that can help this football team."

8.David Ausberry, who might have been running with the first-team offense were there No. 1’s, looks like a physical specimen at tight end a year after being lost for the season in the second exhibition game with a shoulder injury. "He was a guy that we had some high hopes for last year," Allen said. "He’s a guy that, again, he’s got talent and he’s got ability, especially as a receiving threat. He’s a nice piece to the puzzle and hopefully he’ll continue to develop and hopefully he’ll stay healthy and we’ll be able to use him this year."

9.Defensive lineman Antonio Smith, who underwent what was termed a "minor" medical procedure by general manager Reggie McKenzie after a weight room mishap, was not on the field for practice.

10.It would appear as though Sio Moore, who started at strong side linebacker last season, could move to the weakside -- Burnett’s old stomping grounds -- with Mack moving in at the SAM. "I’ll start off by saying this: We’re going to take a look at a lot of different people in a lot of different areas because we have a lot of new players on this football team," Allen said. "As we get a better feel for these guys and get an opportunity to work with them, we’ll settle in more on positions as we move along. But I think initially, we are going to take a look at a lot of people in a lot of different areas.

Jan 29, 2005
PHX
Fuck yeah, this is the type of interview I love to see.

Oakland Raiders linebacker Khalil Mack looking forward to sacking Peyton Manning | Audibles - SI.com

Oakland Raiders rookie Khalil Mack looking forward to sacking Peyton Manning

Khalil Mack was the No. 5 overall pick in the 2014 NFL draft, and he is eager to get his playing career underway with the Oakland Raiders. As a pass rusher, Mack will have the opportunity to sack the league’s top quarterbacks, but there is one signal-caller in particular that Mack is hoping to get his hands on, and that player is none other than future Hall of Famer Peyton Manning.

When speaking to the media at this past weekend’s NFLPA Rookie Premiere, Mack was asked who he is looking forward to hitting the most and he mentioned the record-setting Broncos quarterback.

“I think that has to be Peyton [Manning] right now,” Mack said, via NFL.com. “Just thinking about it gets you a little [excited], you know what I mean?”

Luckily for Mack, the AFC West rivals will face off twice a year, giving him plenty of chances to sack Manning.

Manning is known for his quick release, but Mack’s athleticism should supply the rookie with a few opportunities to take down the future Hall of Famer.

Rattling Manning is crucial to slowing the Broncos’ high-powered offense, and Mack figures to be a critical contributor on a revamped Oakland defense that first faces the defending AFC champions in Week 10.

Defy

Cannabis Connoisseur
Jan 23, 2006
Rich City
The following image was not created by nor does not personally represent the views of Defy @Defy

but who am I to argue?

Defy

Cannabis Connoisseur
Jan 23, 2006
Rich City
It's nice to see one of our #1 picks pan out.....oh wait

Raiders place DJ Hayden on PUP list
By Jerry McDonald

[email protected]

POSTED: 07/24/2014 01:49:35 PM PDT0 COMMENTS| UPDATED: 44 MIN. AGO

NAPA -- DJ Hayden can't catch a break. Or stay away from one.

Any hope the Raiders had of their 2013 first-round draft choice stepping up and seizing a starting role in his second season appeared unlikely when it was revealed Hayden had surgery related to a stress fracture more than a month ago.

"I wish I had a time frame, I really don't know what it's going to be,'' Raiders coach Dennis Allen said while briefing a small group of reporters over lunch Thursday. "It's disappointing for him and for me because he's a guy we were counting on being able to step up and help us this year and he's a young player and he needs the reps.''

Hayden will open camp on the physically unable to perform list (PUP), with 49ers imports Carlos Rogers and Tarell Brown as the starting cornerbacks. Being physically unable to perform has typified Hayden's short career with the Raiders since he was the 12th pick of the draft two seasons ago.

Rogers will play inside against the slot receiver against the nickel, opening up an outside corner spot for veteran Chimdi Chekwa and rookie sixth-round pick TJ Carrie out of Se La Salle High.

There were raised eyebrows when the Raiders selected Hayden in the first place, given trauma surgery in November of 2012 to repair a blood vessel leading to his heart. During Hayden's first set of OTAs, he needed surgery to remove scar tissue related to the first surgery, slowing his development.

Hayden spent most of his rookie camp in a red jersey, signifying no contact. He also sustained a slight hamstring pull, missing some workouts. Hayden ended up playing in eight games before sitting out the second half of the season for surgery to repair a sports hernia.

Hayden finished with one interception, stealing a pass in the end zone to seal a 27-17 Week 5 win over the San Diego Chargers.

The most recent injury occurred when Hayden rolled an ankle during the first organized team activity. Allen said an MRI showed "nothing of significance.''

The day before the injury, Hayden met with the media to talk about his progress. Allen described him as "light years ahead'' of where he was as a rookie.

When it the foot was slow to heal, a second MRI revealed a stress fracture which required surgery, which was performed at some point near the end of the mandatory minicamp which concluded June 19.

"He's a young player, and these young guys, they need the reps, they need the work,'' Allen said. "Is it a setback? Yeah, it's a setback. Is it something that's going to keep him from being able to contribute this year? I certainly hope not. That be determined by how fast he's able to recover.''

Allen said Hayden was out of a protective boot Thursday but hadn't seen him Friday. He said recovery from the surgery could be as little as four weeks but could be as much as eight weeks.

"I think he's frustrated, but I don't think he's in any state of despair or anything like that,'' Allen said. "I think he understands he's got another challenge he's got to try to overcome and the road that he has ahead of him and he's been working to try and get back. The kid wants to out there. He wants to play.''

Other players who will open camp on PUP tight end Nick Kasa (hip flexor), guard Lucas Nix (knee) and possibly Usama Young (quad) and rookie cornerback Keith McGill (ankle). Young and McGill were injured during Thursday's conditioning tests.
Defensive tackles C.J. Wilson (hamstring) and Stacy McGee (thumb) were hurt while training away from the team and will begin on the non-football related injury list.

Kevin Burnett, a starting outside linebacker last season, was released. Allen said he feels good about the depth at the position with Miles Burris and Sio Moore at weak side linebacker and Kaluka Maiava available at all three spots to go along with strong side starter Khalil Mack and middle linebacker Nick Roach.
Raiders place DJ Hayden on PUP list - ContraCostaTimes.com

REACHTMO

panty vandalizer
Aug 7, 2011
I think carr will start by the end of the year.

I hope they dont feed him to the wolves right away though. let schaub take a beating as long as possible, let carr get an intro to the nfl and show him what it takes to be a professional and then let him do his thing

Jun 23, 2005
Said fuck it and copped season tickets today. I'll be in section 125. The way I figured was that I was gonna spend around 100 for the opener and 200 for the niner game, might as well spend a few more and get the whole season. I might not be able to attend every game cuz of work but fuck it I'm juiced