Who started Chicano rap n Oldies?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Jose

Sicc OG
Jun 4, 2002
Who was the first Chicano rapper to start rapping over oldies? I know an old song by North Side Vatos Locos that uses "Stand By Me," and Sir Dyno used "Oh Honey" for Brown Chicana, but who was the first because Chicano rap is known for that now.

Jan 9, 2004
Never heard of north side vatos locs and didn't Dyno record Brown Chicana in late 90's? I think Frost, Proper Dos and Lighter Shade of Brown were doing their thang in late 80's and probably rapped over Oldies back then.

Apr 26, 2004
dont know who did , but I really dont like oldies mixed with rap,the chicano rap I buy is Mr.Shadow,Clicka One,Romero,Sporty Loco, Down ,Psycho Realm...they dont use oldies on their shit

Jan 9, 2004
BOUnSER said:
dont know who did , but I really dont like oldies mixed with rap,the chicano rap I buy is Mr.Shadow,Clicka One,Romero,Sporty Loco, Down ,Psycho Realm...they dont use oldies on their shit
PSYCHO REALM does use Oldies, they just produce so good that it sounds like something else entirely.

Oct 12, 2003
Jose said:
and Sir Dyno used "Oh Honey" for Brown Chicana
I can tell you for sure it wasnt Dyno who started it, I've been listening to dyno for 10 years, and I have over 27 cd's in which he is on. Out of all those cd's he only has a handful of songs with oldie beats. What about MC BLVD. i remeber he had that song "Perdoname Jeffita"

Jose

Sicc OG
Jun 4, 2002
Frost first album was hispanic causing panic right? Was there any oldies songs on there?

I know Frost was rapping when Ice-T started but he went by a different name and his style was hip-hop, nothing like the Chicano rap of today.

I figured maybe Sir Dyno started it that because hes been rapping since the 80s, even made the original GUN-Generation Under Nation.

I didn't even know Proper Dos been around that long.

May 17, 2002
Jose said:
Who was the first Chicano rapper to start rapping over oldies? I know an old song by North Side Vatos Locos that uses "Stand By Me," and Sir Dyno used "Oh Honey" for Brown Chicana, but who was the first because Chicano rap is known for that now.
according to "Its Not About a Salary: rap, race and resistance in los angeles", Tony G and Kid Frost were the first...

kid frost: but i think what really made everybody go back into the sound was that everybody started finding their roots, where they were from. we started going into el chicano,santana early 1960's texmex. the sound that we knew and that all the chicanos ahd loved for years, but nobody knew how to incorporate it with rap. so when we were hooking up. tony G was like "we got to fuse this together somewho. i dont know if its going to work right away. i dont know if everybodys going to jump on it, but lets try it man, we aint go nothin to lose.."

Oct 12, 2003
suspect#1 said:
that generations of united nortenos
No, Your Wrong. DYNO started a group in 88 called GENERATIONS UNDER NATION. Later, When North Star Records asked him to do a pure, hardcore, Norteño rap cd, he ressurected the group name G.U.N., and changed the name to GENERATIONS OF UNITED NORTEÑOS

Apr 25, 2002
559_Soldado said:
No, Your Wrong. DYNO started a group in 88 called GENERATIONS UNDER NATION. Later, When North Star Records asked him to do a pure, hardcore, Norteño rap cd, he ressurected the group name G.U.N., and changed the name to GENERATIONS OF UNITED NORTEÑOS
thanks for the info

man i dont know why dyno never got major appeal he been in the game a long ass time