Mayor files complaint on cop who called him 'dude'

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 26, 2002
Associated Press Dec. 9, 2003 09:00 AM

BAKERSFIELD, Calif. - Arvin Mayor Juan Olivares had just one request of a Kern County sheriff's deputy during a traffic stop - "Don't call me dude."

Olivares planned to file an official complaint with the sheriff's department, seeking to have the deputy fired for what he called disrespectful behavior.

"I asked him five times, 'Please, officer, don't call me dude.' I'm not a dude. I'm 41 years old, I'm a businessman, I'm a Christian and I consider myself a gentleman," Olivares said Monday.

Olivares is mayor of Arvin, a city of 20,000 in Kern County, about 20 miles south of Bakersfield.

The deputy stopped Olivares and Arvin City Councilwoman Carmen Acevedo in Bakersfield on Nov. 23. Olivares, who was driving, said he was ticketed for having illegally tinted windows on his vehicle, and Acevedo received a citation for having an open container of beer.

Olivares didn't dispute the charges. He just took issue with being called dude.

"He was calling me dude and laughing about it," Olivares said. "I don't think Kern County needs that kind of leadership."

Officials with the Kern County Sheriff's Department did not immediately return a call seeking comment.

Sep 13, 2002
shouldnt the mayor be let go for drinking while in a car. regaurdless of being behind the wheel what kind of roll modle is that?????

i would have made dude get out the car lie down then spray pantied dude on his over priced suit

Jul 7, 2002
proppa said:
shouldnt the mayor be let go for drinking while in a car. regaurdless of being behind the wheel what kind of roll modle is that?????

i would have made dude get out the car lie down then spray pantied dude on his over priced suit

i got a better idea, why not beat the man to death?

Mar 13, 2003
www.billythefridge.com
Yeah, it seems to me he's trying to glaze over his mistakes with something as trivial as being called dude.

If he's got a problem with it, don't get pulled over. I'd had way worse said to me when getting pulled over, it's just how it goes.

May 2, 2002
i love how he says "our county does not need this kind of leadership"

when the dude is rolling around with an open containter

this shit is funny "dude"

May 1, 2002
shit...if it was rolling with one of homeboys n i had i had a open container... they would have called back up searched my car cuz of probable cause its a double standard