Legal Handgun Ownership

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 25, 2002
I recently turned 21 and after recovering the morning after from the hangover, it occured to me that i am now old enough to purchase a handgun (whether or not i am mentally capable to own and operate one has yet to reveal itself) My question is what is the process that i have to go through in order to obtain one legally? Can i just go to the sporting good store and buy one? or do i have to take a class first? I was looking at a Walther p99 that was like 300 bucks anyone know anything about these?

Oct 18, 2003
i'm feelin the walther ppk.

as far as i know you can't have any felonys,be of age and go through a background check.

i'm not sure about mental issues though? i wondered about that too.

Oct 18, 2003
this was takin from the attourney generals website:

What is the process for purchasing a firearm in California?
All firearms purchases and transfers, including private party transactions and sales at gun shows, must be made through a licensed dealer under the Dealer Record of Sale (DROS) process. California imposes a 10-day waiting period before a firearm can be released to a buyer or transferee. A person must be at least 18 years of age to purchase a rifle or shotgun. To buy a handgun, a person must be at least 21 years of age, and either 1) possess an HSC plus successfully complete a safety demonstration with the handgun being purchased or 2) qualify for an HSC exemption.

As part of the DROS process, the buyer must present "clear evidence of identity and age" which is defined as a valid, non-expired California Driver's License or Identification Card issued by the Department of Motor Vehicles. A military identification accompanied by permanent duty station orders indicating a posting in California is also acceptable.

(PC Section 12071)

http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/

Apr 11, 2003
gooeygraphics.com
someone at the store has to show you a handling demonstration. then you have to take a written test. the test is about $15-$25. you can buy the study booklet for $2, but thas optional. the test is basically common sense type shit.

after you pass the test you have to pay for the gun before they will send your test to get approved. then the test, along with proof of your residence (if you don't have proof like a utility bill, you can use your car's registration printout) gets sent to some gov. agency i guess. it takes 10 days to get approved by the gov. then you go back to get your pistol. when you go back to pick up your pistol, you have to show proof of some kind of locked cabinet where you will keep it. something like a safe. you either need to bring it in or show receipt. then you need to perform the handling demonstration for one of the people in the store. then you can legally kill as many people as you want.

Apr 25, 2002
basically what UKantcme said except the killing part lol What i did was buy the basic safety firearms booklet for a few dollars, kind of like a dmv manuals basic stuff you gotta know, pay a fee for the test, correct me if im wrong but i believe it was 30 questions, i forgot its been about 5 yrs, they give you your results and your license right then n there. You purchase your firearm comeback 10 days later to pick it up simple. I dont know how they handle things now but it seems that they are getting more stricter as time passes.

Hope that helps, have fun and dont shoot your eye out!

Apr 25, 2002
There is a way to bypass all of that... if you go to a gun show and purchase as a "collector" you can walk right out with gats of all types. I dont know if they have changed that or not, but thats how my older bro and his homies (felons) use to buy straps about 8 years ago.

Me, Im afraid if I bought a gun Id use it too easily.

Jun 27, 2002
felon or ex con's usually cannnot possess firearms in california....the "collector" thing doesnt work anymore and you do have to wait 10 days for the backround check before you get ya strap, you have to pass a test, thats pretty easy...other than that your good to go, unless you have a vast history of mental illness as well

Dec 18, 2002
MeloTrauma said:
There is a way to bypass all of that... if you go to a gun show and purchase as a "collector" you can walk right out with gats of all types. I dont know if they have changed that or not, but thats how my older bro and his homies (felons) use to buy straps about 8 years ago.

Me, Im afraid if I bought a gun Id use it too easily.
YEA thats what i thought u could just do^^^

plus

im feelin that, i kno for sure if i had a gun itd bring me some kinda evil someday, the saying "owning a gun is an invitation to get shot" aint a joke, but my infatuation with .50 cal D.Eagles and glocks will have me purchasing that shit when im of age no doubt