KMEL Big Shot Contest

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

J:M

Sicc OG
Feb 4, 2004
Quick questions.

Did Slim Mark D Riz ever make a song with E-A-Ski or whoever the producer was?

Same thing with the second contest. What's the timeframe of Scotty T working with Kanye West?

Those questions just came up out of the blue (I blame Mary Jane). I totally forgot they were having the contest cause 95% of the songs on the first contest were garbage (just my opinion, I'm pretty sure if I came out with a song, it'll be worse) so I never even heard the second group of folks, except for Scotty T, again garbage, he's coo, but the song sucks. I can imagine the ones they didn't choose. I'm interested in how everything is gonna turn out with heavy hitters on the mixing board. Thanks everyone, not hating, just telling the god-d*mn truth.

Feb 22, 2004
ok scorcese...tell me...how was it rigged? really..I hear this so much, everyone sayin its rigged cuz they didnt win...so please...explain to me how this was rigged. and if it WAS rigged, why was rigged in favor of Mark D or whoever...someone none of us know...

please..you made the comment, explain it..

Apr 7, 2004
THE CONTEST SUCKS..WHY THE FUCK DO US BAY AREA ARTISTS NEED A FUCKIN CONTEST LIKE WE IN SOME OLE HICK TOWN AND NEVER HAD HIPHOP HERE FOR YEARS. WE NEED NO CONTEST...WE NEED DOE TO COMPETE WIT THE REST OF THE INDUSTRY. MONEY-DOE-SKRILL-SCRATCH-PAPER. THATS ALL. REAL SPIT. IF WE HAD THE MONEY FOR RADIO-VIDEO-ADVERTISMENT IN THE BIG INDUSTRY MAGAZINES WE WOULD BE RIGHT THERE WIT EVERYONE ELSE. ARE MUSIC IS GETTING ALOT TIGHTER OUT HERE..SO THAT'S IT. DOE.

Jul 20, 2002
ScottFoxKMEL said:
ok scorcese...tell me...how was it rigged? really..I hear this so much, everyone sayin its rigged cuz they didnt win...so please...explain to me how this was rigged. and if it WAS rigged, why was rigged in favor of Mark D or whoever...someone none of us know...

please..you made the comment, explain it..
Wow Scotty Fox actually responded to a comment I made, you must be roaming around here invisible.

OK, speaking on it. What I meant by "rigged" is if I have all my friends vote for me then I win right ? I could have voted 100 times just by voting and cleaning out my cookies and voting again (computer talk). Everybody deserved to be in the contest and I love that the dudes that won get to work with some high powered cats. How is it a fair contest when it doesn't have proper judging ?

My song didn't make the contest but if you remember, other dude that called himself Mouthpiece that was on there and he was talking shit to me because I said his song wasn't that good and he was getting hella votes. So what I did was cntact all my friends and told them to vote for anybody but him and watched as he began to lose. I only voted once myself and it wasn't for him.

So my comment is not that it's "rigged" by the station but that it was not thought out enough to be a fair contest.

Jul 20, 2002
I can't be compared to those that said it was rigged becasue they didn't win because I wasn't in the contest but I was I would have won fa sho. All I needed was to see one of my songs up there and I was guaranteed a win.

Feb 22, 2004
actually...the computer / promotions guy gettin the reports on votes was lookin for cases like that, multiple votes. Not sure if they were using just cookies or actual IP addresses..but i do know that in some cases contestants who did have many votes from the same person or same IP address, those were discounted.... It was by no means a perfect contest, but I thought it went well... we had close to 1000 entries for each one...we still are gettin packages, even tho theres no contest...

Jul 20, 2002
ScottFoxKMEL said:
actually...the computer / promotions guy gettin the reports on votes was lookin for cases like that, multiple votes. Not sure if they were using just cookies or actual IP addresses..but i do know that in some cases contestants who did have many votes from the same person or same IP address, those were discounted.... It was by no means a perfect contest, but I thought it went well... we had close to 1000 entries for each one...we still are gettin packages, even tho theres no contest...
He was only using cookies believe me. The contest was a success and I would be willing to come up with one of a better format if yall open for ideas.

Apr 25, 2002
ScottFoxKMEL said:
Do you know how the entries were screened? Did they go through and listen to every single one or were there some they couldn't get to? And was there any consideration as to where the package's return address was from, maybe defining what is "Bay Area" and what isn't? Just curious, a few of us were wondering about some of the specifics.

Jul 20, 2002
I believe Chuck from Done Deal can answer that. If you remember back when the contest was on, he said that out of 100 cd's he didn't hear anything tight so maybe he was part of the committee deciding on it. If I'm wrong so be it but I do remember him commenting on songs submissions to the station. It's cool that he's in real good with the cats.

Dec 2, 2003
Damn I didn't know Chuck wes in THAT good wit them KMEL cats...that light weight ain't fair for one man to have that kind of acess to KMEL...maybe thats why they get that much more luv then the rest of the bay artist...just a thought...at the same time it's a lesson to all of you rappers, pick your business friends wisely and you will get more radio play.

Apr 13, 2004
MAN ALL I KNOW I DIDNT WIN MY ROUND IN THE BAY AREA BIG SHOT CONTEST, BUT I SURE DO GET RADIO PLAY, OVERALL I THINK MY SONG WAS THE BEST AND I DIDNT WIN THE ONLY OTHER PERSON WHO WAS TIGHT WAS SAGE LUCAS. BUT FUCK IT BIG VON AND SCOTTY FOX MUST LIKE IT SO I LOVE IT! I AINT MAD.

Feb 22, 2004
first off...yes..we listened to every package that came in...no Chuck (Done Deal) was not on the commitee to decide any songs. There werent really any packages from outside the area, the farthest was like Stockton or Modesto, and we listened to those too..

Alkohol is kinda right...the music IS gettin better. But a lot of it has a long way to go to compete with the big artists. Everyone screams that we should play all bay, but the research doesnt support that. Other artists sell more here, and we get way more requests for Usher than even Quinn.. Theres no "hate" or anything lame like that, we just try toi provide a balance of music that everyone can get down with. Fortunately, we've gotten a lot of good stuff from the bay, and the bay is supporting it! Quinn, Federation, Frontline, Easki just to name a few, all came with heat... none of them needed any bread or videos to get on tho... they just had hot songs, and people wanted em. Thats the key.

Apr 7, 2004
Scotty's right.....I had a song I wanted on Sunday night...they said straight up..they wasn't feeling it..(even though it was slap...just different) .No hate in me...so I go to plan B. back to the lab and make somethin hotter. But my definition of hot. nobody elses. I know I can make a bay song that niggas would embrace easy. using all the bay slang n whatever..but that's not me. Ima make me. And make me again...and again...until Scotty & Von say yup..that's hot...and it's all me wit no compromising my style or flow...then i'll be the nigga wit a record on not soundon like nobody. Weather it's now..this summer or december 04. ALKOHOL has no complaints but time will play the part of more types of bay music being spun.