I'm thinking of selling sample discs. I'd like some input...

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Aug 12, 2002
I'm thinking of selling drum sample disks. Any input?

I'm experimenting with selling drum sounds right now, and I'd like some feedback from y'all as to what you're looking for. What I've got planned now is to sell kits with 200 sounds each. Each kit will consist of 50 kicks and 50 snares. Then an assortment of hihats, claps, percussion, and synth effects, for a grand total of 200 sounds.

After researching, I've found other companies that sell respectable sounds for a variety of prices. Here's my break down of it.
Kidnepro- Sells individual disks for $10 with about 24 sounds/disk.
Banginbeats- Has a special with about 130 sounds for $45.
Sounds4Samplers- Sells 20 disks for $100, with about 30 sounds/disk.
MPCSounds- Sells 3 disks for $30, with about 170 sounds total.

I feel that one kit with 200 sounds for $25 or 2 kits for $40 is fair. What I want to know is what you producers/beat makers want. Any particular producer's drums that you love? Like a lot of ethnic percussion? Snappy snares or hard ass snares? etc...

Anyways, for those interested, I'd appreciate if you'd try out my free demo kit and tell me if you think it would be worth while. Any comments you have will be very helpful. Thank you.

-=bumpus=-

mo-x

Sicc OG
May 4, 2002
www.unknownterritoryrecords.com
any particular producers.... Dre seems to always have snares/kicks that I'm feeling... For example, I been looking for the sounds from Xzibits track Multiply, produced by Dre. Those sounds way tight. I think what you're doing is tight. $40 for two disks isn't bad at all if the sounds don't suck. And judging from your demo sounds (groove2.wav being my fav snare), it looks like I might pick up a couple disks.

Aug 12, 2002
Thanks for the love Samos and Deviant. Did you guys check out the demo kit?

Mo-x: That was the kind of feedback I'm after. Much thanks.

Very often, when producers hear my beats, they tend to comment on my sounds, so I thought I'd give selling them a try. Now I'm not trying to make a big business out of it, but just sell some good sounds to producers.

I've tried a few cds from ebay, and although I obviously can't vouch for all of them, the ones I got tended to feature mostly plain 808 sounds that most everybody has already. Some of them had all the drum sounds from the planet phatt. But I'd say, there were about 30 sounds on each disk that I would use as is. Others, I had to tweak, layer, filter, etc. And some were plain garbage. The point being that the ones I tried did not impress me much.

I plan to offer plenty of free demo sounds so that people can decide for themselves if the sounds are quality or not.

-=bumpus=-

Apr 26, 2002
I want to know what your sound sources are gonns be, all synths, sum live shit, etc.
And what type of processing you doing? and what gear are you runnin' everything through?
What File formats, etc., etc.

mo-x

Sicc OG
May 4, 2002
www.unknownterritoryrecords.com
BIG J said:
I want to know what your sound sources are gonns be, all synths, sum live shit, etc.
And what type of processing you doing? and what gear are you runnin' everything through?
What File formats, etc., etc.
I wanna know that too... the demo is in wave and I used it last night on the triton for some snazzy snare sounds. that's the first time I used the triton as a sampler... was quite easy. but now i'm hooked... and to think I was going to waste my money on the mpc 4000... pssh, what a dumb ass idea that was.

Aug 12, 2002
.WAV format is the most versitle, as it can be used on just about any sampler designed in the last 5 years. But since I'm sure there is a large MPC user base, I will offer that format as well. Each kit will fill up three disks with about 66 sounds per disk.

BIG J:
I do all my processing at 24bits on a pc. I tend to favor the Waves plugins for a lot of processing, although I use a variety other techniques. As far as sound sources, I grab sounds from wherever I can. Mostly funk songs, layered with drum machine samples, then filtered, eq'd, etc. Most every sound is a combination of about 4-10 other sounds, so it's definately not run of the mill, dime a dozen sounds.

-=bumpus=-

Apr 26, 2002
I' m definitely interested Bumpus

a lot of ethnic percussion? Snappy snares or hard ass snares? etc...
^yeah these three things, and some Kick Drums, not the 808 kicks that everyone has, more realistic soundin' drums, reallly thick Kick drums are a plus as well

Aug 12, 2002
BIG J said:
Thatz Data Burned on CD right?
Yeah, a data cd, not an audio cd (although I can do that, it would be more of a hassle for both me and the end user).

Either .wav or .snd format (or whatever else I can convert to)

-=bumpus=-

Apr 26, 2002
I DO NOT want an audio CD, then I wouldn't get the 24-bit resolution. .WAV files will do just fine for me, I didn't even know that the MAC platform accepted .wav files until a couple months ago LOL!

May 7, 2002
Im interested.... I think most of the kits lack good rimshots, precussion sounds.... I like a mix of Timbaland, Dre, Neptunes, Bass Stabs, Clap Snares, Hard Snares, Ambient Snares, Shakers, Ethnic sounds, vocal sounds, ambient sounds, sweeps,,,, Shit you name it I want it....

Oh and SikWidit supp with the discs you got any for Sale????
Bumpus Im interested...... Hit me up..

Aug 12, 2002
Since I've gotten some good feedback from interested people, I'm opening the doors and going to start taking orders. So those who said they wanted to cop some, email me: [email protected] .

Im interested.... I think most of the kits lack good rimshots, precussion sounds.... I like a mix of Timbaland, Dre, Neptunes, Bass Stabs, Clap Snares, Hard Snares, Ambient Snares, Shakers, Ethnic sounds, vocal sounds, ambient sounds, sweeps,,,, Shit you name it I want it....
That's a decent summary of what is on the disks. The first two disks (called the classic series) have a lot of snappy snares, claps mixed with snares, snaps, shakers, hard Dre-like snares, short Timbaland snares and other percussion such as belltrees, vibraslaps, bongos, triangles, etc. Quite a few quality rim shots there too.

I'm working on another disk that will have more ethnic percussion and bongos and such. It should feature a lot of Neptune-like sounds on there with some real hard kicks and some natural live sounding drums as well. That disk should be ready by the end of the week.

Also, expect a few bass disks coming soon, with plenty of sub basses, slaps, funky synth basses and electric.

-=bumpus=-

BIG J

Sicc OG
Apr 26, 2002
let us know when you get that second disk ready. I'll definitely swoop on the classic set and that one with the Ethnic percussion