Universal Music to Cut CD Prices to Under $13

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 25, 2002
For those who didn't see this on the news....

_____

Universal Music to Cut CD Prices to Under $13
By Derek Caney

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Universal Music Group, the world's largest record company, on Wednesday said it will cut list prices on compact discs by as much as 30 percent in an effort to boost sales that have been stymied by free online music-sharing services such as Kazaa.

Starting in October, Universal, the home to such artists as Mary J. Blige, U2 and Elton John, will trim its prices on most of its CDs to $12.98 from its current $16.98-$18.98 range of prices.

"Our research shows that the sweet spot is to sell our records below $12.98,' said Universal Music president Zach Horowitz. "We're confident that when we implement this we will get a dramatic and sustained increase."

Historically, large retailers have sold new CDs at considerably less than the so-called "manufacturer suggested retail price."

"We expect this will invigorate the music market in North America," said Doug Morris, the label's chief executive. "This will allow retailers (to sell) for $10 or less if they so choose."

The price cut comes as the company has endured the enormous popularity of free music sharing services, which the labels blame for music piracy.

Universal, which is owned by Vivendi Universal, sees the price cuts as part of a larger strategy to discourage people from downloading music from the free services.

The record industry has already begun suing individual users of these services for copyright infringement. The labels have also begun offering their music to online music services that charge for each song downloaded, one of the most popular of which is Apple Computer Inc.'s iTunes.

"As people will begin to migrate from illegitimate services, they're going to be exploring a host of options -- some online and some through retail," Horowitz said. "We felt that the most important thing we can do to encourage people to go back into stores is to reduce our prices dramatically."

Wholesale prices for CDs would decline to $9.09 from $12.02. For a handful of bigger name artists, wholesale prices would be $10.10 for a short period of time.

Universal also said it would stop "cooperative" advertising, in which the label subsidized advertising by retailers in local markets and instead advertise directly to consumers. It will also withdraw other discounts to retailers.

"(Our buyers) haven't had a chance to talk with Universal at this point to get details on how it might affect the business," said a spokesman from Circuit City Stores Inc. . A spokeswoman from Best Buy Co. Inc. declined to comment.

Amazon.com Inc., Tower Records and Trans World Entertainment Corp. did not immediately return phone calls requesting comment.

The other major labels -- AOL Time Warner Inc.'s Warner Music, Bertelsmann AG's BMG, EMI Group Plc and Sony Music Group -- declined to comment.

Some music executives questioned how much impact the price cuts will have.

"This doesn't have as much impact as it looks," one record executive said. "The labels were offering some discount programs to the retailers that would now end. So it's not entirely clear how much of a change there is for retailers' margins."

Another executive noted that larger retailers like Wal-Mart Stores Inc, Best Buy and Circuit City already sell CDs at around $13 anyway to get people into the stores to buy bigger ticket items.

"It remains to be seen what this means for the specialized retailer of CDs," he said.

Source: Yahoo News (Wednesday, September 3, 2003)
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=769&e=3&u=/nm/media_universalmusic_dc

Apr 26, 2002
www.PROJECTAFFILIATED.com
in many ways this is good because prices for CD are crazy and hopefully now Mom & Pop shops can compete with larger corporations....on the other hand it hits the indpendents who are used 2 selling there album @ an already low price for placement and incentive because now they will have 2 compete with other albums @ 10-13 dollars....

we'll see how everything turns out

good post lisa

Apr 25, 2002
www.dugoutent.com
Glad they caught on and made the move. I been doin this on my last album since it dropped and watched the cd's move like a champ. I got the damn Double Disc in most stores between $7.99 to $13.99 and they move...and yep, I still make all my money back.....the SMART mom and pop's are hitting me directly so they can get them at the lowest price possible. This was a good move by Universal...I commend it, more labels should follow now.

All the bitching about cd prices these days on here and only 3 replies? Shits funny....can't please cats these days.

TKO

Sicc OG
May 2, 2002
They need to lower the prices on Bay CD's...I always see mainstream shit on sale...I hardly ever see Bay stuff on sale....and to pay 16-17 dollars for some half ass independent cd is a real ripoff in my opinion....

May 11, 2002
go to rasputins...all their local cds are always cheap...the only ones that arnt under 13 are yukmouth and c-bo...thats where i buy all my shit...best prices in town...there and also amoeba

Aug 1, 2003
Good post! Finally someone decided that the prices were too high. There are a lot of albums out there that arent worth the 16-18 dollars that they r asking for.

Apr 25, 2002
I'd definately buy a few more CDs per year if the prices were $10 a pop.

Low price was the reason I bought Lil Flip last year and Dilated Peoples and Mystic the year before, they were only like $7.99 at Best Buy, and all actually turned out to be pretty good albums.

Its a good move by Universal, but just a start.

Jan 24, 2003
what up this is kev ski,
yeah its good for the fans but rap artist are really fucked now,
there goes about a third of your budget for the lable, its also gonna affect the video bugets aswell cuzz they cant make the money back,damn........ i dont know what to say its all good for the fans at this point but its also gonna be harder for your favorite artist to get picked up by a major and if he does get signed then it means that less money is there to promote him or her, it good and bad,but ill tell you this ..super audio is on the way yeah 24bit dvd audio is around the corner so the prices are gonna be back up there for people who like really good sounding audio, i doubt if many on this site cares but its commin soon