WTF Boy dies from heart failure after using too much deodorant

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Nov 27, 2006
Boy dies from heart failure after using too much deodorant
A 12-year-old boy's heart failed after he used too much deodorant, an inquest heard.

Daniel Hurley, from Sandiacre, Derbyshire, England was found collapsed in his bathroom by his father Robert Hurley after using the Lynx Vice deodorant, a coroner was told.

Derby Coroner's Court heard that use of the spray in a confined space led to Daniel suffering a cardiac arrhythmia.

Mr Hurley tried to revive his son but he died at the Queen's Medical Centre in Nottingham on January 12, five days after he was found.

Mr Hurley told the inquest: "He was always putting gel on his hair and spraying deodorant and it was quite common for him to spray his clothing as well.

"The bathroom is adjacent to the kitchen and I made some tea and shouted into the bathroom to see if he was okay. I heard nothing so I shouted again but did not get a reply. I forced the door open and found Daniel in the bath."

Consultant pathologist Dr Andrew Hitchcock, who carried out the post mortem examination on Daniel, told the inquest yesterday that there was no evidence he had abused alcohol or drugs. Derby and South Derbyshire Coroner Dr Robert Hunter recorded a verdict of accidental death.

Dr Hunter said he was satisfied that Unilever, which manufactures the Lynx brand, gave enough warning on its cans that excessive amounts of the deodorant should not be used in a confined space. He said: "It seems the presence of a volatile agent caused the cardiac arrhythmia. Daniel copiously used deodorant in the bathroom. I do not know how many people read the warnings about exposure awareness. But people need to know about the risks that these products have on the cardio-vascular system.''

FDS

RIP DUKE BROTHERS
Jan 29, 2006
i guess he wasn't "sure" . Boom Boom Crash!! ill be here all night folks, try the chicken.

Jul 29, 2008
hmm. interesting. I work in a cardiac unit.

Heart pumps blood to the body, but oxygenated blood is transferred from the lungs... if the chemical makes the heart irregular, I wonder which arrhythmia happened.

Oh, lynx body deordorant is actually Axe Body spray.

Jun 9, 2007
I guess he gave himself the Axe... it's just sad he didnt even bother telling his dad about his little Secret.... smells like a Degree of Teen Spirit to me... you really should be Banned for posting this.