where are some good recording schools at?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

yes

Sicc OG
Feb 9, 2006
want to know good recording schools please give me their website because i was thinking about going to ohio but if their is somthing better then that out here i will just commute so please hit me up please

thanks

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
If anyone who reads this thread doesn't check the link, i'm gonna tell ya..

I'm a recording arts school graduate from one of the best schools in the world but i'll tell you right now that I wish I took the 13 grand I spent on it and just bought gear because heare i am 7 months later doing pretty much the same thing I did in the audio world I did before I started. The shit they taught me was extremly useful but honestly is ain't really nothing you can't pick up on your own with some good research and some on the job experience. These schools are for people who are ready to drop everything and go in this shit full steam which means you will have to intern for free for god knows how long before you ever see a dollar and when you finally get paid it won't be much. This was something I wasn't able to do, I have too many bills to work for free especially in the bay area where I live. Couldn't if I wanted to anyway since my school completly fucked off my internship they promised me and left me out to dry to fend for myself to get my hours to graduate. Keep this shit in mind before you try to go to one of these schools because they will tell you anything to get you in. they will say its hard to get in like its harvard or something but these people only advertise in trade magizines and they will basically let anyone in that sounds enthusiastic about music and sound. Its a business

Dec 9, 2005
Ex'pressions is a really nice place.

70,000 is a lot of money though, but they do offer an BA though, for whatever thats worth.

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
a degree in that field ain't worth much, a degree from a state college is worth a hell of alot more trust me. Most people who are big shots in the music busness did not go to no recording arts school and thats a fact and most people who graduated from recording school their first 2 years in the business consists of interning somewhere for free probably washing the studio managers car and doing food runs while working some shit part time job with flexible hours sharing a studio apt with like 4 other guys all doing the same thing you are doing and all hunting for your job. sounds like fun and a great use of 14,000 to 75,000 dollars which is the touition range of these schools.

I don't want to be a downer but thats what it is, plus the music industry in losing money so alot of studios have turned themselves into makeshift schools just to pay their bills. My advise is go get yourself some books on analog and digital recording, a book on basic computer troubleshooting a pro tools rig and a couple of mics and learn this shit on your own. Most people who graduate these schools are just very knowledgable in their hobby and thats about it. I sacrificed alot to go to one of those schools and don't have much to show for it now that its all said and done, I wish i never went

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
Plus the directer of eduaction of the school i graduated from is also the cheif editor for Mix magizine, that tells you alot right there. There is alot of recording arts schools out there you got Full Sail, The Conservatory, LA workshop, Recording institute, Expressions, Berkley, etc etc etc. There are probably more schools out there for this stuff then there are positions available for entry level audio engineers! Give or take, this is how the scale goes in a commercial recording studio..

Intern-payed nothing, does any random task the cheif engineer, asst, producer, artist and studio manager want you to do. Usually not related to audio at all, if anything you may do mic setup and breakdown and roll some cable up and might get lucky enough to sit in on the session. but will most likley be doing food runs, painting or just ridiculous tasks only made to test your dedication, patience and attitude. You get treated like total dogshit and there are like 5 other guys doing the same job as you all hunting for the next spot on the pecking order runner

Runner-Same as intern but you get payed VERY little, like minimum wage with 5 guys hunting for the next position Assistant engineer and if these people like you but don't see you as being technical or have a good ear you might get on the administrative side of the studio and pick up phones or help the studio manager

Assistant- Hes the guy in the control room with the chief usually his job consists of patching, setting up just little shit like that. He doesnt not get payed much either and the hours are very long and sporadic contract work

Head Engineer- The guy whos running the board, making what the producer wants happen. he is an independant contractor working for the studio on a client who likes this guy basis. Also long hours but the pay is better because of it but like all independant work you are only getting money when you have gigs.

Wold

Sicc OG
Apr 12, 2005
jayda650 said:
a degree in that field ain't worth much, a degree from a state college is worth a hell of alot more trust me. Most people who are big shots in the music busness did not go to no recording arts school and thats a fact and most people who graduated from recording school their first 2 years in the business consists of interning somewhere for free probably washing the studio managers car and doing food runs while working some shit part time job with flexible hours sharing a studio apt with like 4 other guys all doing the same thing you are doing and all hunting for your job. sounds like fun and a great use of 14,000 to 75,000 dollars which is the touition range of these schools.

I don't want to be a downer but thats what it is, plus the music industry in losing money so alot of studios have turned themselves into makeshift schools just to pay their bills. My advise is go get yourself some books on analog and digital recording, a book on basic computer troubleshooting a pro tools rig and a couple of mics and learn this shit on your own. Most people who graduate these schools are just very knowledgable in their hobby and thats about it. I sacrificed alot to go to one of those schools and don't have much to show for it now that its all said and done, I wish i never went
So would going to a state college and getting a degree in Recording be better then any of them shcools?

I'm thinking of going to Chico cause of there Recording class's but not sure what to do.

Sep 24, 2005
soundcloud.com
Im sure i aint gonna take any recording classes in college, im goin to davis, i dont no wat they got over there, one thing im seeing, actually reading is, a lot of people think they will make better beats by going to a recording school, and i heard over in them schools, its about recording not composing. Im just gonna do it on the side, while i major in cell biology. Reading books and figuring things out is better for me, but of course i ain't going to have the experience of working with expensive equipment, i won't know much about mic placement, but i will sure as fuck make better beats tho.

Besides that, this summer before college im gonna go to delta for fun, a guitar class and ill see what else they got.

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
No I mean do not get a degree in recording at all, it isn't worth your time or money because it doesn't pay off. Unless you just want to learn it just for the love of the craft because its not something most people are able to make a living off off. Most engineers are freelance independant contractors and either through years of good professional contacts are gainfully employed all the time or they have a real job and do the sound thing on the weekends or spare time.

If you want to go to Chico, take my advise and get a real degree there beause that audio engineering degree is a very closed very limited degree that you don't even need to be one.

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
See instead of going to that school I should have just gotten a loan for the same amount of cash. I woulda had a very decent project studio for 13 gs. But here I am with reason a midi keyboard and my computer just like when I started doing this 3 years ago. I'm just extensively knowelegable on how much my setup sucks now, haha! Best 13.5 grand i ever spent. I'll be paying that shit off till I'm 40 kicking myself in the ass every month when i drop that check in the mail

yes

Sicc OG
Feb 9, 2006
thanks jayda but real talk money is a matter for me but then it isnt i mite take you up on your offer

that spend 13k on equitment then just schooling

but i mite just take a recording workshop