West Coast Bad Boyz 1 Question

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Doxx

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
strivin.com
Readin' that "Greatest Compilation Of All Time" post made me start to wonder about somethin'.

I know Herm did it first out here, but to me, West Coast Bad Boyz 1 was the comp to really spark shit off and set the standard.

For people who agree, what was it about West Coast Bad Boyz 1 that made it so good? Don't just name the songs you liked. I mean what were the factors that came together to really set that comp up for success in your opinion?

Gone,
Doxx

May 20, 2002
Herm's comp was all Frisco......

wcbb's was the first that had everybody from the bay on it...

from Rosa, to sac..to oakland, to frisco, to epa, etc....

It was great! just like pussy...the first is always the best right?

Ry

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
  • Ry

Ry

it represented the Bay to the fullest, through the appearances of the bays best at that time, the cover art, production, etc. The Bay was starting to get recognition and develop its own sound, and it was wcbb1 where everything kinda networked together for the first time.

Doxx

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
strivin.com
All good points except for the "milky like hot grits" pussy comment from Gabe. Good god man.

I almost forgot about the video. I don't know how much of a factor it was in the success of the comp though 'cause it barely got played at all, but it didn't hurt I'm sure.

And did everyone know that our very own DJ Mark 7 has a cameo in that video?

Anymore opinions on the subject? Please post 'em.

Apr 25, 2002
www.myspace.com
ITS THE FACT THAT, UNDERGROUND RAP IN THE BAY WAS HARD TO FIND, IT WAS BECOMING A HUGE DEMAND, AND WCBB HAD ALL THE TALENT FROM THE BAY ON 1 CD.... I MEAN AT THAT TIME, ALOT OF THOSE ARTIST JUST DROPPED A TIGHT ASS ALBUM OR WERE ABOUT TO.... I REALLY THINK THE TIMING WAS PERFECT FOR THAT CD.... ALSO... MASTER P WAS ON THE RISE AS WELL, PEOPLE WERE BUMPIN ALL HIS SHIT, THEN HE DROPS A COMP WITH ALL BAY AREA TO BE LEGENDS..... HOW COULD IT NOT SELL?? NOT JUST THAT, THE CD WAS BANGIN FRONT TO BACC..... I ALSO LOVE HOW MASTER P HAD COVERS TO ALL THE ALBUMS OF THE ARTIST ON THE CD ON THE BACC COVER OF THE WCBB CD.... SO THEN IT ALSO MADE YOU LOOK FOR THOSE ALBUMS... I MEAN LOOK AT WHAT ALBUMS DROPPED AROUND THAT TIME....

RBL "RUTHLESS BY LAW" CLASSIC!!!!
TOTALLY INSANE "BACKSTREET LIFE" CLASSIC!!!
DELINQUENTS "ALLEY WAY" CLASSIC
CELLSKI "MR. PREDICTOR" CLASSIC!!!!!!!!!!
JT "PLAYAZ IN THE GAME" CLASSIC
GLP -CLASSIC!!!!
DRE DOG "NEW JIM JONES" CLASSIC!!!!

THE LIST GOES ON OF CLASSIC MATERIAL AT THAT TIME!!!!!

TKO

Sicc OG
May 2, 2002
Kaos was in the WCBB video? really? I don't remember that Doxx.

That WCBB was a solid compilation put out by Master P. It's funny cuz it was word of mouth that got me to find out about it. It did open the way for a lot of artists like Lil Ric, Cellski, GLP, etc...It is the songs from that compilation that made me check out the solo releases from the artists.

Too bad not all compilations coming out are as tight as the classic ones.

I think for the most part recycling has lead to shitty compilations.

Word to people who do COMPS:

NO RECYCLED TRACKS PLEASE.

Ry

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
  • Ry

Ry

TACT OUT MUZIC said:
ITS THE FACT THAT, UNDERGROUND RAP IN THE BAY WAS HARD TO FIND, IT WAS BECOMING A HUGE DEMAND, AND WCBB HAD ALL THE TALENT FROM THE BAY ON 1 CD.... I MEAN AT THAT TIME, ALOT OF THOSE ARTIST JUST DROPPED A TIGHT ASS ALBUM OR WERE ABOUT TO.... I REALLY THINK THE TIMING WAS PERFECT FOR THAT CD.... ALSO... MASTER P WAS ON THE RISE AS WELL, PEOPLE WERE BUMPIN ALL HIS SHIT, THEN HE DROPS A COMP WITH ALL BAY AREA TO BE LEGENDS..... HOW COULD IT NOT SELL?? NOT JUST THAT, THE CD WAS BANGIN FRONT TO BACC..... I ALSO LOVE HOW MASTER P HAD COVERS TO ALL THE ALBUMS OF THE ARTIST ON THE CD ON THE BACC COVER OF THE WCBB CD.... SO THEN IT ALSO MADE YOU LOOK FOR THOSE ALBUMS... I MEAN LOOK AT WHAT ALBUMS DROPPED AROUND THAT TIME....

RBL "RUTHLESS BY LAW" CLASSIC!!!!
TOTALLY INSANE "BACKSTREET LIFE" CLASSIC!!!
DELINQUENTS "ALLEY WAY" CLASSIC
CELLSKI "MR. PREDICTOR" CLASSIC!!!!!!!!!!
JT "PLAYAZ IN THE GAME" CLASSIC
GLP -CLASSIC!!!!
DRE DOG "NEW JIM JONES" CLASSIC!!!!

THE LIST GOES ON OF CLASSIC MATERIAL AT THAT TIME!!!!!

P did the same thing with Down South Hustlers. The southern scene was about to blow up, and he dropped a comp with a bunch of rappers that had, or were about to drop CDs.