Paul Williams: "Mayweather Won't Fight Me, Pacquiao Will"

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jul 24, 2005
By Mark Vester

Paul "The Punisher" Williams believes there is a chance that Manny Pacquiao would be willing to fight him at the welterweight limit of 147-pounds. Williams doesn't share the same good feeling about Floyd Mayweather Jr. Both Williams and Mayweather are managed by Al Haymon - making the situation interesting with Williams taking a few verbal shots at Floyd.

"I think Pacquiao may give me the opportunity. I don't think Mayweather would give me the opportunity. He already said I was too big for him and stuff. He fights guys that he's bigger than. If I make the weight [of 147], it's good. If we don't make the weight that we agree on than you shouldn't fight the guys. Pacquiao would be more gutsy to give me a shot than him," Williams told BoxingScene.com's Bill Emes.

Williams told BoxingScene that he plans to go back down to 154 after this Saturday's bout against Sergio Martinez, being fought at 160.

"After this fight, me and [trainer/co-manager] Mr. Peterson decided that we are going to make our way back down to the low 50's," Williams said. "I would have still been fighting at 147 if I had someone to fight. They forced me out. I had Michael Jennings at number 1 [when Williams was the WBO welterweight champion] and he turned me down. I had Miguel Cotto at number 2 and he turned me down. I left [to move up in weight]. Then I turn on the TV and they are fighting for my title."

If both fights were on the table, Mayweather and Pacquiao - Williams told BoxingScene that he would pick Pacquiao because it would make for a more exciting fight.

"Pacquiao, he's more hot right now. Pacquiao is the more hotter [fighter]. Mayweather, I respect what he's doing. They are both good guys but Pacquiao right now - he's hot. He's real hot. He's been beating everybody; running right through them. He throws a lot of punches and I like that because of my skills and his skills; there will be a whole lot of punches thrown in that fight," Williams said.

I agree with williams floyd would never take this fight

May 25, 2009
haha oh shit that would be on some nintendo punchout shit lol manny vs williams i actually can see this happening pac-man aint scared of shit he loves to fight unlike pussy boy floyd.

Dec 9, 2005
I really like Paul, but he's most effective against guys who are going to always be in front of you flat footed...immobile. Quintana picked him apart by using angles.

Obviously, he's baiting Mayweather into a fight here...and I would favor Paul in this fight. Though, I think Floyd would murder Paul on the inside.

I don't think we're going to see Paul fighting at 147 again though.