GARY,INDIANA GETS NATIONAL SPOTLIGHT....TUNE IN....

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 25, 2002
A look at Gary — past and present — will be showcased in the final installment of the “In Search of America” television series.

The program will air at 9 p.m. Saturday on ABC.

The segment, hosted by ABC news anchor Peter Jennings, outlines Gary’s history up to present-day conditions. Social concerns such as racism in the community also are explored.

Interviews with Mayor Scott King, former Mayor Richard Hatcher and Post-Tribune Northlake Editor Richard Grey are part of the episode, as is input from national figures the Rev. Jesse Jackson and the Rev. Al Sharpton.

Viewers will see new and old footage of city events and neighborhoods.

Gary is also featured in a book, also called “In Search of America,” a companion piece to the TV series.

The book was co-authored by Jennings and Todd Brewster, a senior editorial producer of the television series. The pair also penned the popular book “The Century.”

“Each chapter of 'In Search of America’ uses a contemporary story as a metaphor for an area of American life: race, government, business, immigration, religion, culture,” the book’s introduction states.

Jennings and Brewster couldn’t be reached for comment by press time Thursday.

Jennings and Brewster conducted some of the interviews for the television series and the book, while researchers conducted others.

King is among the people interviewed who didn’t meet Jennings or Brewster. The mayor had not seen the book or previewed the episode as of Thursday but said he has higher expectations of how the city will fare in the documentary than in the book.

“It was a horrible experience,” King said of the interview for the book. “The guy was talking with me about what he thinks the best way to run a city is. He spoke for 40 minutes of a 45-minute interview. I felt like I had wasted 45 minutes of my life.

“That book was written before he (the interviewer) got here,” King said.

In contrast, the mayor spoke highly of the interviewer working for the television production. King said more ground was covered, and he was given more opportunity to speak.

Gary is just one of several communities — and racism just one of several concepts — showcased in the television series and the book.

The first episode of the series aired Tuesday, with an Idaho community that is resisting the power of the federal government over control of land.

Free enterprise is explored through the examination of a Plano, Texas-based company.

Illegal immigration is examined in Salt Lake City, Utah.

Jennings also reports on the exploration of rebellion, free expression, generational conflict and the meaning of patriotism by some Boulder, Colo., teen-agers.

DEEP UP IN THIS GAME, IT SEEMS THE DEVILS AT MY DAMN DOOR, ANOTHER MURDA CAPITAL, AND GARY AINT NO 304.
ONE