all 6 Star Wars to get theatrical re-releases in 3D

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Sep 29, 2003
After more than five years of teasing, Lucasfilm disclosed today that work is under way on converting the "Star Wars" saga to 3D.

All six pics will get theatrical re-release in stereoscopic starting with "Episode I: The Phantom Menace," which returns to theaters in 2012.

Exact release date has not been announced, but a Lucasfilm spokesperson said the pic will open wide and "as close to day and date (worldwide) as possible."

The prospect of six "Star Wars" pics released in 3D should stifle speculation that the format is a fading fad. It also promises to reintroduce the franchise to young auds who are used to 3D and only know 'Star Wars' from homevideo and the "Clone Wars" Cartoon Network skein.

20th Century Fox will once again distribute. Fox domestic distribution prexy Bruce Snyder called the series "perfectly suited" for 3D and said "I expect this to be as much fun for people that have not experienced 'Star Wars' as it was for people who were there in 1977 staring at the screen with mouth agape."

Spacing of the re-releases has not yet been determined, as that will depend on the pace of the conversion effort.

There are no plans yet for a homevideo release.

John Knoll, visual effects supervisor for Lucasfilm's Industrial Light & Magic, is overseeing the conversion, which is being done by outside vendors with close oversight by ILM.

Knoll said Lucasfilm is committed to ensuring that the 3D conversion delivers results as good as a movie shot and authored in 3D. Knoll said that it'll be used to make the experience more immersive and he'll avoid some of the more jarring, exaggerated uses of 3D that have marked previous stereoscopic pics.

"Having seen a lot of stereo material, I have very strong opinions about what I like and don't like about stereo," Knoll told Variety. "I'm going to be applying my aesthetic. It's not going to look like (conversions) we've seen in the past."

Knoll said there are no plans to add or fix visual effects on the movies. Over the years, Lucas's digital tweaks on the original trilogy pics have generated pushback from fans.

smh......on another note, I been waitin to buy 4-6 in bluray

Aug 16, 2003
If they kill Lucas then you gotta get Speilburg. IF you cant get them both at the same time youll see EVERY movie they ever did shited on my post production 3D crap.

Jul 13, 2002
He should continue the original story at least once more while Harrison, Carrie, Mark, etc. are all still living.... A lot of good books in the Star Wars universe could be made into a new sequel.....

Oct 30, 2002
www.soundclick.com
IMMA GO SEE IT IN 3D JUST SO I CAN TAKE MY BOYS TO SEE EM IN A THEATER.

BUT 7,8,9 ??? I DOUBT IT.
AND IF ANYTHING THEY CAN FOCUS ON LUKE BEING JEDI MASTER, JACEN SOLO(LEIA AND HANS SON) GOING TO THE DARK SIDE AND LUKE THEREAFTER... IF THEY END IT WITH LUKE BECOMING SITH THAT WOULD BE DOPE(HE ACTUALLY INFILTRATES THE SITH ORDER).. BUT LUCAS IS TO OLD TO DO IT ALL ONE MORE TIME. WE WILL NEVER SEE IT

P.E.

Sicc OG
Feb 24, 2003
star wars in 3d would be hella dope,..wut r u guys talking bout,....i mean yea,lucas is jucing it for all its worth but i mean,we get to say that in our lifetime we got to see star wars made in full length 3d!....all them laser lights and hyper speed and the shootout thru the trees with the eewaks and chubaka,jabba the hut..all that shit is gonna look tight i bet!,...cant wait!