Affliction folds MMA promotion, will sponsor UFC

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 3, 2002
All bad... first the PPV now this:

After promoting two critically acclaimed but financially disastrous mixed martial arts cards, Affliction on Friday first canceled its pay-per-view card scheduled for Aug. 1 and then opted to get out of the promotional business, Yahoo! Sports has learned.

The company and the Ultimate Fighting Championship are expected to release a statement sometime on Friday in which it is announced that Affliction will cease operations as a promoter and that its clothing division will become a UFC sponsor.

Affliction had a card slated for Aug. 1 with a main event of Fedor Emelianenko, the No. 2 fighter in the Yahoo! Sports mixed martial arts rankings, against former UFC champion Josh Barnett at the Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif.

But Barnett tested positive for an anabolic steroid and on Tuesday was denied a license to fight by the California State Athletic Commission.

That left Affliction scrambling to fight a replacement for Emelianenko. With no viable alternatives – the best was former UFC light heavyweight champion Vitor Belfort, who was already down to 195 pounds for a scheduled middleweight fight – Affliction early Friday opted to scrap the show.

Later in the day, Affliction came to terms on a deal in which it would quit promoting fight cards. However, the status of the fighter contracts belonging to Affliction is unknown.

They could revert to the UFC or they could become free agents, able to sign with the promoter of their choice.

Multiple sources had indicated to Yahoo! Sports that Affliction was on the verge of a deal with Strikeforce for some sort of merger, but that fell apart in the last 24-48 hours. That’s when talks began anew between White and Affliction. They had spoken earlier in July about such a scenario, but were unable to come to a deal.

May 3, 2002
/\ I feel the exact same way.. I hate him at times, but I can't hate him.. for the most part he gets things done his way.

Well now all i can say is he better go after Fedor. I really wanna see that happen.

B-Buzz

lenbiasyayo
Oct 21, 2002
bhibago
last.fm
Mousasi summed this all up the best.

"Well, what can I say. It's ridiculous because one idiot we all have to pay for that. F*ck it. Maybe I ... I don't know. Every time ... Maybe I'll go to the UFC. It's ridiculous that this has to happen. I've been preparing for weeks now."

I've also read the guys who were supposed to be fighting might all still get onto the upcoming Strikeforce and M1 cards

Dec 9, 2005
Hopefully Strikeforce can pick up some more quality fighters. I don't think their goal is to compete with the UFC, but they have some damn good cards and its nice to have different options.

Jul 29, 2008
I was trippin when I heard this... never liked their shirts.. but sad to see that they folded.

I was a big IFL fan...

personally, I just like to see that fighters have a choice... all bad.

Jul 29, 2008
Barnett is fucking stupid.......Black Ball his ass.......
well, Barnett is dumb for using a banned substance... I would partially blame him for the fold..but not completely. Just like Kimbo, Affliction was banking on these high profile matches to make money.. all good.. but gotta set up for these type of failures... so they can fall back on something else.

I'm actually shocked at Barnett.. he's a real nice guy and is dope at wrestling. Met him at CSW in fullerton a while back.. he showed me alot.

Apr 25, 2002
RIP, it was just a matter of time. Im glad that affliction as a company set aside their ambitions to put some mma shows. Dana white said it best, stick to making t shirts. MMa promoting is hard as shit. Im glad that at least those who fought under Affliction can get into Strikeforce, cause Scott Coker is real good peoples.

At least some of the tension of UFC fighters had with the UFC about wearing affliction can be deceased for the moment....

May 9, 2002
Mousasi summed this all up the best.

"Well, what can I say. It's ridiculous because one idiot we all have to pay for that. F*ck it. Maybe I ... I don't know. Every time ... Maybe I'll go to the UFC. It's ridiculous that this has to happen. I've been preparing for weeks now."

lol true what he said