The Raid red band trailer

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

corinthian

Just Win Baby!!!
Feb 23, 2006
3rd ID
How do you know? I've seen trailers that look more bad ass than this and the movie sucks balls.
I've seen the directors last movie and it was the shit. dude knows what he's doing. The Raid has been described as the badass hallway hammer scene from Oldboy, extended through an entire movie. Action movies don't get much better than that.

corinthian

Just Win Baby!!!
Feb 23, 2006
3rd ID
American version hasn't been announced yet. when it does, you can expect it to be pg-13 starring shia lebouf, with a sound track by justin bieber.

This is the director's last movie:

and here's a review for the raid:

When I walked into the theater today to see Gareth Evans‘ The Raid, I knew nothing about the film. I had heard some positive buzz coming out of the film’s midnight madness premiere last night at the 2011 Toronto Film Festival, but that that was it. I had no expectations, and no idea how hard my ass was going to get kicked by this Indonesian action movie. This is the best action film I’ve seen in years.
The Raid follows a elite SWAT team as they raid a rundown apart*ment, which is ruled by a ruthless drug lord named Tama who uses the location to shelter his junkies, drifters, enforcers and killers. When their cover is blown, Tama puts a bounty on the members of the squad which is echoed over the loudspeaker system across the apartment compound. With no reinforcements coming to their aid, Rama and his men must try to survive and escape this apartment highrise full of killers.

This cleverly contained set-up allows from some really inventive set pieces, some really tense moments, highly-choreographed brawls and awesomely violent deaths. The film reminds me of when I first discovered the old-school films of John Woo like Hard Boiled. I’ve heard others making comparisons to Die Hard and Assault on Precinct 13. The first 15 minutes take place before the Raid and the 85 minutes that follow are almost non-stop action. Imagine a film which takes place in the space which is usually left for the climactic action sequence at the end of a movie.

Sony Pictures acquired the film during the Cannes Film Festival after only seeing a few bits of footage. Deadline just reported that Linkin Park’s Mike Shinoda has been hired to create a new musical score for a film, which should make the film more marketable to American audiences. Indonesian martial arts actor Iko Uwais has the potential to top Tony Jaa stateside. I fully expect this film to be a hit among the cult circles — one of those films that passes from friend to friend.

Jan 25, 2009
American version hasn't been announced yet. when it does, you can expect it to be pg-13 starring shia lebouf, with a sound track by justin bieber.

This is the director's last movie:

yeah Merantau was the shiiit, was expecting his other movie (the main actor) to come out first but that one looks good too

Mike Manson

Still Livin'
Apr 16, 2005
The Midnight Madness portion of the Toronto International Film Festival is best described as a “kick to the face,” a collection of ten genre films that work their way from horror to traditional martial arts, and everything in between. The fest kicked off (pun intended) last night with Gareth Huw Evans’ Indonesian The Raid, a powerhouse of action cinema that transcends into something much, much more.

Raise your hand if you’ve seen a horror or action flick that drove you crazy simply because they never took it “all the way.” It happens all too often, in fact, pretty much all the time. The Raid takes a super simple plot and focuses on making an engaging and entertaining film, rather than a thought-provoking one. It’s an action movie, so why the hell is a deep story even necessary? The plot: A team of police raid a building complex taken over by a powerful drug lord.

Similar to [REC] 2, the pic opens inside the police van where Evans builds the mythology of the criminals, and puts their own fear on display. We see police trembling, while others challenge the mission, in general. They’re scared shitless. It all builds from here, as Evans truly understands action cinema and how to build characters. Rule #1: your protagonist must be fallible. Many films make the mistake of turning their hero into Superman; a boring, indestructible machine that just yawns their way through one faceless villain after another (example: see pretty much every single action movie ever made). Evans reteams with the badass, Iko Uwais, who takes one beating after another and can only be described as “John McClane-ish”. Imagine Die Hard, only 100 times more violent and 1,000 times more bloody. Another comparison would be to Rocky IV as Ivan Drago is built up to be this unstoppable machine, and Rocky must use all of his heart to defeat the Russian anomaly. As the police work their way, floor by floor, so do the villains and their abilities. To say that Rocky bumps gloves with Drago is an understatement as the battle is beyond epic…

Speaking of battles…

Brilliantly, The Raid logically works its way through fight choreography that begins with automatic weapons and ends with hand to hand combat (once all the ammo and weapons are gone; and imagine that anything can be used as a weapon). Evans shows that he’s a master of action filmmaking as nearly every sequence is wholly visible – no shaky camera, tight shots or editing – and lets the viewer actually see what the hell is going on. Even more impressive were the on screen SFX work which range from multiple stabbings (chest, legs, eyes, etc.) to poles being jammed into people’s necks and faces being planted onto broken pieces of wood. The Raid is by no means a horror movie, but it plays out like the most epic zombie movie ever created – it’s easily one of the most violent and bloody films in history, yes, EVER. In fact, I’d go as far as to say it’s one of the best action movies ever assembled.

The Raid does everything right, and is so incredibly self-aware in its awesomeness that I envision the filmmakers jacking off to their own movie (I would too). If you’re expecting a kick to the head, instead you should probably expect 42 kicks to the teeth, a roundhouse, 362 punches to the ribs and then two broken legs. The Raid is ultra-cinema, the highest octane of energy you’ll ever see on the big screen. It’s a rush that’s only side effect is withdrawal – and the only fix is to see it again.

Score: 9 / 10
http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/film/5369/review