UFC 176 Officially Cancelled

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jan 29, 2005
PHX
UFC 176 canceled after main event falls apart due to injury | FOX Sports on MSN

For only the second time in company history, the UFC has pulled the plug on the fight card announcing Tuesday that UFC 176 has been canceled.

The show scheduled in Los Angeles on August 2 at the Staples Center was set to be headlined by featherweight champion Jose Aldo against top contender Chad Mendes in a rematch from a bout the two had in 2012.

Unfortunately, Aldo pulled out of the bout with a neck injury that will only sideline him for approximately 45 days, but that was enough time for him to be unable to perform as early as Aug. 2.

The only other time the UFC has had to pull a card like this previously was in 2012 for UFC 151, which was also cancelled after Dan Henderson suffered a late injury forcing him out of the main event bout against light heavyweight champion Jon Jones. With less than two weeks to go until show time, the UFC decided to cancel the show entirely and rebook the fights for a later date.

With Aldo sidelined on just over a month's notice, the options for the UFC to put together a replacement main event were also slim to none and now they've been forced to make the tough call to yank the show entirely and reschedule for a later date.

The remainder of the undercard, which currently stands at nine fights, will be shifted to later dates with many of them likely pushed to the UFC 177 card taking place on August 30 in Sacramento. That show is headlined by bantamweight champion T.J. Dillashaw in his rematch against former title holder Renan Barao.

The UFC 177 fight card was just recently announced, but has no undercard to speak of right now so moving most of the fights from the Aug 2 show makes perfect sense.

As for ticket holders for UFC 177, refunds will be given at the point of purchase for the show no longer happening on Aug. 2. The UFC is expected to return to Los Angeles before the close of 2014 to make up for the lost show, but no definitive plans have been announced as of yet.

RM211

Sicc OG
Feb 10, 2006
have gegard n jacare co-main ufc 177 now. this blows tho they couldnt just shift it for fs1? im looking forward to mous and souza. i actually thought Frankie was gonna save this card, or cub swanson.

RM211

Sicc OG
Feb 10, 2006
just read that Mousasi v Jacare got moved to UFC Fight Night Connecticut, bad thing about that is its not until Sep. 5th. FUUUUUUUUUUC! With all these shufflings going around its actually kind of a blessing in disguise.

from what im hearing is that UFC 178 is looking like this:
Jones/Gus II
Hendricks/Brown or Lawler
Cruz/Mizugaki
Romero/Kennedy

thats stacced! thats not even the full main card should be one more fight on there.

Jan 29, 2005
PHX
maybe they'll learn to quit basing cards on one fight....
Yeah they've spread themselves way too thin trying to globalize. 5-6 shows a month is crazy. Twice within the last couple of months having 2 shows on the same day.

Now they get screwed if an injury happens cause they literally don't have anybody for a replacement from having too many shows.

Kind of miss the days when the UFC would only be on once every 30-45 days or so. Made the fights seem way more important and hyped me up a lot more for them.

Feb 10, 2006
I still watch ufc cards from top to bottom everytime. I missed 174 tho cuz I couldn't get out of a jam. I know what y'all mean when u say they're thin cuz of so many cards but to me that just makes it easier to get to know these new guys in the ufc. There's a lot of up and comers making a lot of noise. I love to watch fights!