MMA News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jan 29, 2005
PHX
Rumor is "Stitch" Duran just got fired by the UFC for talking about the Reebok deal in an interview. Apparently Stitch lost all of his sponsors too just like the fighters, but he don't even get a cut of the Reebok money. Dude didn't even really bash it, all he said was "I lost a good chunk of money and even though I'm an independent contractor it's looked down upon if we work for places like Bellator too". He said the UFC keeps him so busy he can't even take boxing fights much anymore.

Dude is the best cutman in all of combat sports and some of the best boxers in the world have hired him for their fights.

UFC is looking amateur as fuck.

Jan 29, 2005
PHX
Lawler vs. Condit, Hendricks vs. Woodley Set For December

This title fight should be awesome.

Hendricks vs. Woodley will probably be for number 1 contender.

Report: Robbie Lawler vs. Carlos Condit, Hendricks vs. Woodley For December

It looks like Robbie Lawler has his next opponent lined up, and it’s none other than former interim welterweight champion and fan-pleasing brawler Carlos Condit. What a booking! Lawler is fresh off a brutal TKO win over Rory MacDonald on the UFC 189 supercard from Las Vegas, and is proving to be a resurgent force in the welterweight division, having taken out the clear number one contender in ‘Ares’, with a thrilling five round burner. ‘The Natural Born Killer’ recently returned from an injury lay-off to smash Thiago Alves with a bloody TKO win.

Another big fight that is being reported by Bleacher Report’s lead writer Jeremy Botter is Johny Hendricks vs. Tyron Woodley, in a number one contender bout. It was thought that ‘Bigg Rigg’ would be getting his trilogy-maker with ‘Ruthless’, but it looks like the fans are the winners in this one, and ‘The Chosen One’ will also have to fight another time before a potential shot at gold.

The two huge welterweight fights, according to Botter, are being targeted for a December card, which leads to the likely conclusion that it would be UFC 194’s PPV (pay-per-view) card, although nothing official has been confirmed as of yet.

The December 5th card is yet to be tagged with a location or venue, but is heavily rumoured for Calgery, Alberta, Canada.

Feb 10, 2006
that fight is going to be INSANE! Finally condit doesn't have to worry about Robbie taking him down, a straight up banger. THERE WILL BE BLOOD!

Jan 29, 2005
PHX
Rumor going around that Joseph Duffy vs. Dustin Poirier is gonna headline a Fight Pass card for the next show in Dublin.

That Duffy hype is real.

Gonna be a great fight, but both are on a cool streak, wish they both had a chance to build themselves up more, UFC is killing off a contender before the contender can really gain steam.

Feb 10, 2006
Rumor going around that Joseph Duffy vs. Dustin Poirier is gonna headline a Fight Pass card for the next show in Dublin.

That Duffy hype is real.

Gonna be a great fight, but both are on a cool streak, wish they both had a chance to build themselves up more, UFC is killing off a contender before the contender can really gain steam.

yea its official now, Oct. 24th is the date. I think Duffy will hurt him on the feet then sub him. Dustin has looked good at LW also tho, so who knows?

Feb 10, 2006
Anthony Johnson vs. Jimi Manuwa Announced For UFC 191

Much better fight!

Anthony Johnson (19-5 MMA, 10-5 UFC) is now longer fighting fellow light heavyweight Jan Blachowicz (18-4 MMA, 1-1 UFC) next month at UFC 191.
Instead, “Rumble” is slated to meet Jimi Manuwa (15-1 MMA, 4-1 UFC), UFC officials today announced. Manuwa was recently cleared to resume training, so officials opted to book him against Johnson, the report stated.
Blachowicz is expected to get a new opponent for the card.
UFC 191 takes place Sept. 5 at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. The main card airs on PPV following prelims on FOX Sports 1 and UFC Fight Pass.
Johnson, who’s ranked No. 3 in the USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie MMA flyweight rankings, and honorable mention Manuwa are slated for the main card.
Johnson fights for the first time since a May title loss to Daniel Cormier. It snapped the 31-year-old former welterweight’s nine-fight winning streak, which came at light heavyweight and heavyweight.
Manuwa recently rebounded from his first career loss – a TKO defeat to Alexander Gustafsson – with a decision victory over Błachowicz. The 35-year-old Nigerian-English fighter earned 13 knockouts in his first 14 career wins.
The latest UFC 191 card now includes:
•Champ Demetrious Johnson vs. John Dodson – for flyweight title
•Alex Chambers vs. Paige VanZant
•Anthony Johnson vs. Jimi Manuwa
•John Lineker vs. Francisco Rivera
•Nazareno Malegarie vs. Joaquim Silva
•Jan Blachowicz vs. TBA

Feb 10, 2006
Frank Mir vs. Andrei Arlovski in the works for UFC 191 co-main

UFC Tonight ‏@UFCTonight 25s25 seconds ago
The UFC is targeting #4 Andrei Arlovski vs. #10 Frank Mir. This is NOT a done deal, but we'll continue to monitor (Per A @Ari elHelwani)

Frankie Edgar v Jeremy Stephens was also in the works for this card but Stephens wouldn't have been ready in time to heal up.

Feb 10, 2006
WSOF 22: Palhares vs. Shields

Don't forget this is this weekend!

W/O Thiago Silva tho, succs...

@MMAFighting 54s55 seconds ago
Clifford Starks replaces Thiago Silva, faces Mike Kyle at WSOF 22

I guess the NSAC has pulled Thiago Silva after he failed to show up at a licensing hearing. Mike Kyle will now face Clifford Starks.

Good to see Silva taking his career so seriously.

Jan 29, 2005
PHX
Much better fight!

Anthony Johnson (19-5 MMA, 10-5 UFC) is now longer fighting fellow light heavyweight Jan Blachowicz (18-4 MMA, 1-1 UFC) next month at UFC 191.
Instead, “Rumble” is slated to meet Jimi Manuwa (15-1 MMA, 4-1 UFC), UFC officials today announced. Manuwa was recently cleared to resume training, so officials opted to book him against Johnson, the report stated.
Blachowicz is expected to get a new opponent for the card.
UFC 191 takes place Sept. 5 at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. The main card airs on PPV following prelims on FOX Sports 1 and UFC Fight Pass.
Johnson, who’s ranked No. 3 in the USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie MMA flyweight rankings, and honorable mention Manuwa are slated for the main card.
Johnson fights for the first time since a May title loss to Daniel Cormier. It snapped the 31-year-old former welterweight’s nine-fight winning streak, which came at light heavyweight and heavyweight.
Manuwa recently rebounded from his first career loss – a TKO defeat to Alexander Gustafsson – with a decision victory over Błachowicz. The 35-year-old Nigerian-English fighter earned 13 knockouts in his first 14 career wins.
The latest UFC 191 card now includes:
•Champ Demetrious Johnson vs. John Dodson – for flyweight title
•Alex Chambers vs. Paige VanZant
•Anthony Johnson vs. Jimi Manuwa
•John Lineker vs. Francisco Rivera
•Nazareno Malegarie vs. Joaquim Silva
•Jan Blachowicz vs. TBA
UFC Tonight ‏@UFCTonight 25s25 seconds ago
The UFC is targeting #4 Andrei Arlovski vs. #10 Frank Mir. This is NOT a done deal, but we'll continue to monitor (Per A @Ari elHelwani)

Frankie Edgar v Jeremy Stephens was also in the works for this card but Stephens wouldn't have been ready in time to heal up.
lol the fuck is up with 191? Card is in 35 days and it's still getting put together, bout to have a bunch of sloppy ass fights.

Still only 5 official fights.

B-Buzz

lenbiasyayo
Oct 21, 2002
bhibago
last.fm
Jake Shields outraged at Rousimar Palhares: ‘What he did was absolutely blatant cheating'
By Shaun Al-Shatti

LAS VEGAS -- Jake Shields knew what he was getting into when he signed up to fight Rousimar Palhares at World Series of Fighting 22, but what transpired Saturday night was even beyond what he could've imagined.

Palhares' third-round submission of Shields wound up overshadowed by a myriad of controversial fouls, as the reigning WSOF welterweight champion not only cranked on his fight-ending submission for several seconds after Shields tapped, but also drew a warning from referee Steve Mazzagatti midway through the bout's second round after engaging in what Shields called a series of blatant eye gouges.

"Over and over, he kept catching his thumb and digging it in both of my eyes. Over and over," Shields told MMAFighting.com. "I kept telling Mazzagatti, ‘hey, look, the eye gouges.' He wasn't saying anything about it. It wasn't once or twice. It was at least eight times. In over 40 fights, not one time has anyone ever done that to me. Those weren't, like, semi-eyepokes. Those were blatant dig in and try to gouge."

Shields was transported to the hospital in the aftermath of the bout due to concerns with his vision. His manager, Tareq Azim, told MMAFighting.com that Shields was unable to see clearly out of either eye entering the third round and was still complaining of blurred vision in the hours after the fight.

"I'm not taking anything from [Palhares'] win, but it's just, what he did was absolutely blatant cheating," Shields said.

"I told the ref over and over, I said ‘he's poking me, he's poking me.' He just completely blatantly ignored me. I don't know. I've gotta say, I know the guy has been bashed as a ref -- I've never personally bashed him because I don't watch enough -- but I gotta say that's the worst reffing I've ever had. He's the worst ref I've ever seen. He's a piece of s**t. Dana (White) is right about him. It was just blatant."

Saturday's incident isn't the first time Palhares has drawn criticism for his in-cage tactics. The 35-year-old was suspended for 90 days in 2010 for cranking on a heel hook long after his UFC 111 opponent, Tomasz Drwal, tapped out of the fight. Two years later, Palhares tested positive for elevated levels of testosterone, then in 2013 the Brazilian refused again to release a leglock submission despite the cries of pains from opponent Mike Pierce.

The Pierce episode resulted in Palhares' unceremonious release from the UFC, but the issue of refusing to let go of submissions long after opponents have tapped is one that's followed Palhares into his WSOF career. It reared it's head again in the most egregious way against Shields, whose shoulder was in a sling after the fight.

"He cranked my shoulder longer than was necessary," Shields said. "It definitely felt like he held it too long. But the eye gouges are what bothered me worse because that threw me out of my game. I shouldn't have let it frustrate me, but it was really hard when I couldn't see out of either eye going into the third round."

Palhares, for his part, expressed innocence regarding both the shoulder crank and the eye gouges.

Both the Nevada Athletic Commission and WSOF management are expected to review the fight, and the punishment handed down could be severe if Palhares is found to have committed wrongdoing.

Yet even despite everything that happened, Shields would be more than willing to accept a rematch if it meant a chance at revenge.

"I would," Shields said. "I hate this guy. I'll be ready for the eye gouges this time. I knew he was a dirty cheater, but I wasn't prepared for eye gouges."