What happened to the quality of San Diego Rap??

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Oct 11, 2009
The gangsta shit is cool and i still bump it but as a city tryna progress with this music, nggas had to gravitate towards music that wouldn't incite riots at these clubs... You already know the music scene is divided as is... That gangsta shit is cool for turf tapes and shit but for niggas really tryna make money and do shows it had to be toned down a bit... Thats just my opinion tho...

Dec 25, 2003
Same goes with all regions bro; SD let alone the whole west coast has gone sw@g...... We're completely outnumbered by 90s babies & 90 baby actin grown-ups now to a point where the glory days are gone now... 1st the Bay, then Sac, then Dago!! Im honestly not liking alotta the new music comin outta the woodwork nowadays... Alotta these newbies are wack as hell now...

I wonder what Coop has to say about this, cuz siccness was in the forefront of all the music gettin it's shine in the early 2000's ... Rasan I agree homie the whole swag sound kinda morphed with the whole jerkin movement & really changed the game as far as dress & sound. But it is crazy that SD damn near has to be at an all out war to have poppin ganster rap music. 02'(the year I moved here) to 07' was some gangster ass years

Dec 25, 2003
Still very baffling that our rap scene has never gotten any major notice outside of Cali & the media not even our local audience from way outside the planet of southeast still havent check into many notable good artists we been supporting for many years...... Im tellin ya they all stay with our washed up radio stations & worldstarhiphop like the locals suck... Seems like no progress hasn't been made even after the 4th&B has shut down & record stores are still being deserted...

Props: Mixerr

Mixerr

Mixerr Reviews
Nov 17, 2012
Austin, Texas, US
www.facebook.com
Still very baffling that our rap scene has never gotten any major notice outside of Cali & the media not even our local audience from way outside the planet of southeast still havent check into many notable good artists we been supporting for many years...... Im tellin ya they all stay with our washed up radio stations & worldstarhiphop like the locals suck... Seems like no progress hasn't been made even after the 4th&B has shut down & record stores are still being deserted...
San Diego HH/R has gotten a lot of notice here in Austin, especially with Mitchy Slick touring right now. Now there only 2 copies left at MusicMania ATX last time I checked. I still remember the Ecay Uno, Black Mikey, Silhouette, Ms. Kitty, and Jayo Felony CDs that were there. I think the OP just got older. That's what happened.

Last edited:

T.C

Sicc OG
Jul 22, 2003
Still very baffling that our rap scene has never gotten any major notice outside of Cali...
Not really baffling when you take a step back and look at the regions that did blow up. They all had distinct sounds (with the exception of the Midwest) and a number of commercially viable artists that were able to push that sound to a larger audience.

Rasan

Producer
May 17, 2002
Chula Vista, South Bay, San Diego, California
The industry milked the west coast dry bro. Nobody cares about the socal way of life anymore as it has been glorified in music and film for over 2 decades.
Also people don't care to hear about what's goin on in the hood, they rather dance and pop mollies.
Unless someone comes in and reinvents the wheel (kendrick lamar may be the chosen one) its gonna be like this for awhile.
San diego has always been the stepchild of the west.

Mixerr

Mixerr Reviews
Nov 17, 2012
Austin, Texas, US
www.facebook.com
The industry milked the west coast dry bro. Nobody cares about the socal way of life anymore as it has been glorified in music and film for over 2 decades.
Also people don't care to hear about what's goin on in the hood, they rather dance and pop mollies.
Unless someone comes in and reinvents the wheel (kendrick lamar may be the chosen one) its gonna be like this for awhile.
San diego has always been the stepchild of the west.
We still got Mitchy Slick, Big June, Jayo Felony, Oso Ocean, Boss Hogg, Ms. Kitty, MC Flow, Lil Rob, Knightowl, Mr. Shadow, and a lot more that I can't think of right now. It's not all bad.

Rasan

Producer
May 17, 2002
Chula Vista, South Bay, San Diego, California
Also another issue is it really isn't lucrative to put out an album anymore. These brothas puttin out these sd rap albums aren't backed by a record lable. So u gotta factor in studio time, beats, cover art, cd replication. Back in the time periods cain listed u could at least break even. But nowadays its a loss.

Dec 25, 2003
I doubt it... & if Im full of shit the whole entire SD masses let alone other parts should be bumpin SD rap reel crazy rite now in their rides wherever Im at all Im hearing is shit like all that overplayed trap shit & radio hits... Honestly I haven't heard anyone outside in Dago bumpin a local artist reel hard in their rides, mentioning their names (besides me), not even posting up a local artists tracks on their fb pages & promoting their names... They all be acting like SD rap is wack, unlistenable, not catchy & don't appeal to them...

Dec 25, 2003
Another thing that has been baffling me for many decades since I was introduced to SD rap is that why the entrepenuership is still lacking here... Why they be in LA, the Bay, the South, & NY but not HERE??? If there was our own Master P, J Prince, Travis O Guin, Tony Draper, Russel Simmons, Cedric Singleton, Freddie T Smith, etc... & funded all their money to build a local rap label empire & sign all these good acts, keep a good roster, build their own distribution, promotion, marketing with their own formula & format & reeleased albums left & rite, rite & left, launch tours, get media notice, press quality merch, all that built from scratch they all would've put our city on the map on a nationwide level just like the Bay, Sac, KC, Detroit, & Houston did from day one & our city being called "America finest" was undoubtedly perfect for this even way back when the economy was better... But Come on now??? What kept them from bonding together to form their own lil No Limit Rap-A-Lot, Black Market, Death Row, Suave House, etc that could've catapult them to nationwide success & take our wonderful city with them still has me questioning for so so long... After listening to some notable ones many years back that actually have potential & capability of makin this possible; still artists be droppin their own stuff independently & on-foot, out-the-trunk, local store distribution & of course legal downloading sites......

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2003
Yes that's always been an actual fact & Ive been seein it forever... It looks like Dago is one city that has the worst hip-hop audience... & in my perspective its the type of demographics we have here & the mentality we have here... SD Latino population is growing fast & the majority tend to stick to the radio-friendly shit & other genres... Same with the white population... Ive always been having a hard time convincing ppl here & all over to gave ya a listen but its always the small selectives & circles that will listen to this stuff as much as all the other deep underground from any city, state, region... As a full-blooded Mexican been living here for years Im perhaps the last one here left... Everyone else are followers & sheep on the hype... Im always been loyal to the underground ever since I was plugged......

Dec 25, 2003
If its not played on the radio or in the club the average consumer thinks its wack and that's far from the truth at times.
I tend to avoid the average generic consumers... They dont broaden their horizons & advance themselves... Im one who pinpoints the reelest fans of quality music & everything else that's quality...