if you had your own record company what artists would you sign and why

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 10, 2006
Riff Raff, Eminem, and Iggy cuz they're all white and white suburbia loves sagging, grills, braids, and hardcore/thug lyrics. I would be swimming in dough! Plus i would love to slap Iggy's ass whenever i feel like it.

ThaG

Sicc OG
Jun 30, 2005
Not really. If you gave me ownership of ALL the record, movie and media companies, then maybe it is possible to create music that is both a wotk of art and popular, and even then it will take several decades. But right now no.

It's one of the biggest misconceptions among fans of true hip-hop that if only the evil record labels and radio stations started playing more of it, then it would become popular. It won't - the public is not interested in serious music (or anything serious in general) and the trend is downward (decreased attention spans, vapid consumerism having taken over everything, etc.).

Rasan

Producer
May 17, 2002
Chula Vista, South Bay, San Diego, California
Not really. If you gave me ownership of ALL the record, movie and media companies, then maybe it is possible to create music that is both a wotk of art and popular, and even then it will take several decades. But right now no.

It's one of the biggest misconceptions among fans of true hip-hop that if only the evil record labels and radio stations started playing more of it, then it would become popular. It won't - the public is not interested in serious music (or anything serious in general) and the trend is downward (decreased attention spans, vapid consumerism having taken over everything, etc.).
kendrick lamar is blurring the lines. i dont like his production but dude is trying to get a message out there and i respect it. j. cole is another one. but thats it.
the mainstream sound has bled into indie rap. before i used to use indie rap as an escape from the pop rap. now everybody wanna rap over a trap beat.

May 7, 2013
33°
www.hoescantstopme.biz

I'm actually surprised by the bolded comment, coming from someone of your intellect (or perceived intellect that is).

The opposite of your statement is easily proved true along similar lines of the theory of Pavlov's dog. People, in general, are not being conditioned to serious music or anything serious in general would be a much more accurate statement. IMHO, the dumbing down effect is the conditioning the people have been given, and this dictates what is perceived to be what people want. Today's generation is raised by the TV, the Radio, and the Internet, not by their parents and not by history. The peak conscious era of Hip Hop culture was well saturated and well received by the likes of various ethnic existences, in large part due to the saturation of it. The kids of today have the music on the radio of today in their heads because that is what they are conditioned to and what is readily available in free dose form.

Last edited:

ThaG

Sicc OG
Jun 30, 2005
kendrick lamar is blurring the lines. i dont like his production but dude is trying to get a message out there and i respect it. j. cole is another one. but thats it.
The question is are people listening to Kendrick Lamar because he occasionally has a message in his music or the presence of such a message is just accidental?

the mainstream sound has bled into indie rap. before i used to use indie rap as an escape from the pop rap. now everybody wanna rap over a trap beat.
This has been true for more than a decade now. Indie rappers started adopting the mainstream sound in the late 90s/early 00s. I've commented on this trend many times. And as a result we lost one of the main sources of innovation in hip-hop - the unique regional sounds that existed developing in isolation. But those cannot exist in a world of iPhones and social media :(

ThaG

Sicc OG
Jun 30, 2005
I'm actually surprised by the bolded comment, coming from someone of your intellect (or perceived intellect that is).

The opposite of your statement is easily proved true along similar lines of the theory of Pavlov's dog. People, in general, are not being conditioned to serious music or anything serious in general would be a much more accurate statement. IMHO, the dumbing down effect is the conditioning the people have been given, and this dictates what is perceived to be what people want. Today's generation is raised by the TV, the Radio, and the Internet, not by their parents and not by history. The peak conscious era of Hip Hop culture was well saturated and well received by the likes of various ethnic existences, in large part due to the saturation of it. The kids of today have the music on the radio of today in their heads because that is what they are conditioned to and what is readily available in free dose form.
It's not really about conditions, it's about the function that music plays in people's lives. It is very few people who listen to music because of the music. The main function of music for the majority of people is as a tool in the quest for ensuring reproductive success. This is nothing new, it has always been the case, since tribal prehistoric times. Even classical music, which today is a very high-brow thing, played that role at the time it was created - the aristocrats were having balls where they would dance to it, and the main objective was to hook up with an attractive member of the opposite sex. The composers and musicians were probably interacting with the music at a higher level, and there might have been a few true connoisseurs, but they were certainly in the minority.

The problem is that this has worsened in recent times. If you look, for example, back at the hippie times of the 1960s and 1970s, it was common for the people who listened to the music to also sing and play the guitar (owning one was really common). This does help elevate one's appreciation of the music as your are not just a passive listener. Old school hip-hop was very similar - block parties, break dancing, etc. And those were much more relaxed times when people first, did not have to worry so much about their immediate future, and second, did not have a zillion things competing for their attention at any given moment.

What we have today is quite different - we have entertainment that is consumed, and quickly discarded, with very little engagement on the part of the people listening to it, and we also have listeners with extremely short attention spans and very limited understanding of the world around them (a paradoxical consequence of the internet age, which one would have expected to make people a lot more informed given how much information is readily available, but has in fact done the opposite due to the inability of most people to integrate information, the large amount of misinformation on the web, and the fact that useful information has to be actively sought, which is rarely the case). Non-mainstream music is also readily available, and for a minority of people this is a blessing, as they can easily find what they are looking for. But it's a minority.

Find a random sample of people around the age of 30, and ask them what they were listening to 10 or 15 years ago. I can answer that question going back to when I was 5, you and most people posting here can probably do that too, but most will be unable to remember anything. Because what they listened to never left any lasting imprint on them, which in turn is due to the fact that they never listened to it for any other reason than that it was what the females in the clubs they were going to at the time liked.