The Definition of Hip Hop: A Debate

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Sep 12, 2014
A debated topic, and I wanna hear y'all input.

To me its very cut, dry and clear: Hip Hop is the overall "urban" culture and is all encompassing including Rapping (MCing), Turntablism, Dancing (breaking), even Graffiti taking it back to the ooold school.

Often times I get in debates with people saying a rapper is more "rap or more hip hop" where they equate "hip hop" with either story telling, or self conscious rhymes, and rapping with party music, or gangsta shit.

To me this is dumb, because if we take it WAAY back to the origins of hip hop, hip hop and MCing was typically the MC hyping the crowd to the DJ's mixes, straight party jams.
So as far as I'm concerned:
Rap: rhythmical delivery of word's syllables to a tempo
Hip Hop: Urban culture including rapping.

Side comment: People wanna talk about how hip hop has gone down the hole, and rappers don't talk about nothing anymore, just party music. Did niggas forget Uncle Luke I wanna rock and the countless other similar type party music from back in the day? #cmonson

May 9, 2002
A debated topic, and I wanna hear y'all input.

To me its very cut, dry and clear: Hip Hop is the overall "urban" culture and is all encompassing including Rapping (MCing), Turntablism, Dancing (breaking), even Graffiti taking it back to the ooold school.

Often times I get in debates with people saying a rapper is more "rap or more hip hop" where they equate "hip hop" with either story telling, or self conscious rhymes, and rapping with party music, or gangsta shit.

To me this is dumb, because if we take it WAAY back to the origins of hip hop, hip hop and MCing was typically the MC hyping the crowd to the DJ's mixes, straight party jams.
So as far as I'm concerned:
Rap: rhythmical delivery of word's syllables to a tempo
Hip Hop: Urban culture including rapping.

Side comment: People wanna talk about how hip hop has gone down the hole, and rappers don't talk about nothing anymore, just party music. Did niggas forget Uncle Luke I wanna rock and the countless other similar type party music from back in the day? #cmonson
This correct. I too get irritated when people say an MC is more "hip-hop". lolwut