Took-N-Bone is so wack.

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Mixerr

Mixerr Reviews
Nov 17, 2012
Austin, Texas, US
www.facebook.com
I was listening to Took-N-Bone (Flint hip hop group) and their style was so cookie cutter.

As you all know that I am a fan of flinttown rap and hip-hop that came out in the 90s especially. tnb dissed The Dayton Family on all 4 songs for apparently no good reason. tnb used samples that were not all original, the production mastering was a antiquated, and the rap flow was east coast not that acid Rap ghetto tech flinttown sound that I had expected.

Tell me your thoughts here.

Last edited:

Mixerr

Mixerr Reviews
Nov 17, 2012
Austin, Texas, US
www.facebook.com
I think is the first time I've ever heard you say something negative about any artist ever. Who else is wack to you Mixerr?
Lil Wayne, Kenny Loggins, Nicki Minaj, Dagos Most Hated, Gina Thompson, ABC, Kenny G, T-Pain, Dough Boyz, and a whole list of others that's too much to name.

Mixerr

Mixerr Reviews
Nov 17, 2012
Austin, Texas, US
www.facebook.com
Unknown underground group with a single tape-only release back in 1993.

On what grounds exactly did you expect some ground breaking music from it?
Because there were a lot of rap groups from flinttown at that time that were exceptionally good that you had to buy their music and so I listen to a preview of tnb. tnb dissed The Dayton Family on all 4 songs for apparently no good reason. tnb used samples that were not all original, the production mastering was a antiquated, and the rap flow was east coast not that acid Rap ghetto tech flinttown sound that I had expected. As you all know that I am a fan of flinttown rap and hip-hop that came out in the 90s especially.

As far as I know, The members of tnb were not gang affiliated. So I don't know why they unexpectedly dissed TDF. tnb were influenced by the religion of Islam. It was more of a pro-black sentiment to the political climate change in 93

However the only groups that would affiliate themselves with tnb were NFTP and DOA in the 90s. tnb and DOA were from Beecher Street and The Dayton Family was from Dayton Avenue. At the time, TDF and DOA were beefin with each other because they were from rival gangs. From my understanding, tnb got dissed so hard by TDF that they were scared to respond back. This was from 1993 to 1995.

ThaG

Sicc OG
Jun 30, 2005
Other than in Memphis and to a lesser extent, Louisiana and the Bay, >95% of tape-only releases are like that - generic samples, cliched subject matter, not very original MCing. There are exceptions, but as a rule around that time how much resources were invested in an album was a major determinant of how good the final product was. If you had the money to invest in quality production, you almost certainly also had the resources to put it out on CD and not just on tape. And vice versa - if it was only ever released on tape, then most likely the production values were not very high and the music not that good.

ThaG

Sicc OG
Jun 30, 2005
P.S. The above is also a reason behind the diminishing returns phenomenon observed with the obscure 90s releases that continue to be mined out - there are still real gems that pop up from time to time but in general at this point the bottom of the barrel is being scraped and the majority are not that great. That does not mean that activity should not continue, quite the opposite, but the time when one had good reason to desperately want to hear every such album he had not listened to before is over - statistically, most of them are inevitably going to turn out to be disappointments, because most of the really good stuff is already out there

Nuttkase

not nolettuce
Jun 5, 2002
at the welfare mall
Other than in Memphis and to a lesser extent, Louisiana and the Bay, >95% of tape-only releases are like that - generic samples, cliched subject matter, not very original MCing. There are exceptions, but as a rule around that time how much resources were invested in an album was a major determinant of how good the final product was. If you had the money to invest in quality production, you almost certainly also had the resources to put it out on CD and not just on tape. And vice versa - if it was only ever released on tape, then most likely the production values were not very high and the music not that good.
P.S. The above is also a reason behind the diminishing returns phenomenon observed with the obscure 90s releases that continue to be mined out - there are still real gems that pop up from time to time but in general at this point the bottom of the barrel is being scraped and the majority are not that great. That does not mean that activity should not continue, quite the opposite, but the time when one had good reason to desperately want to hear every such album he had not listened to before is over - statistically, most of them are inevitably going to turn out to be disappointments, because most of the really good stuff is already out there

Mixerr

Mixerr Reviews
Nov 17, 2012
Austin, Texas, US
www.facebook.com
I'd say 75% but you're spot on with your responses. I only thought 3% to 5% percent of Flint rap disappointed me. None of it was too generic if that's what you're guessing. Rappers usually don't have a lot of money invested into their projects.