No one in 2014 goes platinum

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Oct 16, 2007
No one has a platinum album in 2014

The decline in album sales is certainly nothing new, thanks to the smattering of streaming options now available to eager listeners. However, 2014 looks to be particularly awful. Forbes reports that nearly 10 months into the year, no release since January has yet to reach platinum status -- a release that sells 1 million copies (in the US). What's more, only one has sold a million copies: the Frozen soundtrack that hit shelves last year. At this point in 2013, five different albums had hit that sales mark (Justin Timberlake's The 20/20 Experience led the pack). How bad are the numbers? Well, the best-selling effort that was actually released in 2014 is fourth on the year's sales tally (Eric Church's Outsiders). And singles are seeing the same fate, albeit at a slower pace. So far, 60 tracks have sold a million -- down from 83 at this point last year. As Forbes points out, sales usually see a boost during Q4 (holiday bump), but most of the top sellers like Adele, Katy Perry and others don't have new material on tap before the year's end. However, Taylor Swift's 1989 is set to release on October 27th, so there's hope?

Jun 10, 2002
music isn't the same as it used to be i remember back when you could listen to a cd all the way thru no skips and then be disappointed when it was over because you felt like it wasn't long enough but it bumped straight thru. now days you buy a Album your going to skip 90% of the tracks because it's horrible. i got to the point i don't even buy albums anymore i might download a few tracks that i like other then that I'm not going to waste my money on something that I'm not going to be happy with.

Mr Ceza

Xplosive Magazine
Jul 10, 2002
#'s have been inflated for YEARS. The fact they announced Nobody Sold 1,000,000(million) copies in 2014, just means they aren't fixing the #'s like they used to. The music Industry is shrinking, but it's not the Independent artist, it's the mainstream/Majors.-Good Riddens! I can name numerous Successful Indi artists that put out better music and have a more dedicated following then Most Major acts. Ill Bill, E-40, Tech N9ne, Kottonmouth Kings, Vinnie Paz, K-Rino, etc. etc. etc.

Apr 25, 2002
major labels will feel it the most if this streaming really takes off. the publishing companies (the old minor's) would be the new major's. major labels would probably make changes to act more as publishing companies than lables or create some hybrid.

DODE

Sicc OG
Dec 30, 2011
In the last 5 years. I've only paid for 2 albums.
1 being the awax pulling strings
2nd one being a classic san jose cd I found at rasputin that was super rare and I used to have a copy in high school.

Not much music worth paying for these days.
rappers thought they were slick selling an album full of filler tracks and only 2-3 cool songs. That shit don't slide in 2014

DODE

Sicc OG
Dec 30, 2011
Also you gotta realize that CD'S are a thing of the past. They are the next cassette tapes and VHS. Pretty soon there won't be any physical cd's it's all gonna be mp3. Then after that a new digital technology will come out that's far superior than mp3 and we will all be downloading music.

I'll give it 2 more years before there's no more music stores. DVDs are on their way out too.

Mr Ceza

Xplosive Magazine
Jul 10, 2002
Also you gotta realize that CD'S are a thing of the past. They are the next cassette tapes and VHS. Pretty soon there won't be any physical cd's it's all gonna be mp3. Then after that a new digital technology will come out that's far superior than mp3 and we will all be downloading music.

I'll give it 2 more years before there's no more music stores. DVDs are on their way out too.
I DISAGREE. They still sell Cassettes and/or Vinyl Records in most Record Stores. Fans always want a physical copy of their favorite music, it's part of your and their History. To the average Music listener, why should or would they pay for music? A Fan of an artist buys all the latest his or her favorite artist releases-Digital or Physical. Someone who just likes this artist or that one will download and listen to all music for free. Question is, where do you fit in in this equation? In order for your favorite Indi artist to succeed, he or she must be supported. I still buy CD's. Maybe 2-5 a month. PEACE