No one in 2014 goes platinum

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 25, 2002
^
kids nowadays are on some other shit. they rather get netflix or redbox or stream on some other shit than own a dvd. they look at music the same way.

my sophmore daughter dont need a physical copy. she knows what an 8-track is, vinyl, cassette, vhs, laserdisc, dvd and cd, but she has no use for them. if she likes a song she'll stream it (free) on what ever her phone has. if she super likes it she'll fuck with itunes. either way, the artist is getting compensated. thats what the new fan is. im sure streaming will cut back piracy, especially with the youngsters. i doubt physical (music) copies will be such a factor once the iphone generation gets in high school and the over 30 crowds favorite artists get too old to make new music.

hipster's and dj's and (few) old school typa fans of music buy vinyl. i aint seen no stores selling tapes for a minute unless they're used.

DODE

Sicc OG
Dec 30, 2011
I DISAGREE. They still sell Cassettes and/or Vinyl Records in most Record Stores. Fans always want a physical copy of their favorite music, it's part of your and their History. To the average Music listener, why should or would they pay for music? A Fan of an artist buys all the latest his or her favorite artist releases-Digital or Physical. Someone who just likes this artist or that one will download and listen to all music for free. Question is, where do you fit in in this equation? In order for your favorite Indi artist to succeed, he or she must be supported. I still buy CD's. Maybe 2-5 a month. PEACE
You're missing the point.

you can buy used cassettes and vinyl but artists aren't putting out new material on obsolete technology.

Feb 2, 2006
Compact discs will never sell like they use to. Itunes is what's killing album sAles. You can sample every track so if there's only 1-4 tracks you like you can spend $4 instead of 9.99-14.99.

napster was good while it lasted. apple stole the whole napster concept and it resulted in itunes. the very boring u2 and apple are working on a new scheme thats gonna supposedly stop bootlegging. they dont care about anything but the almighty dollar. bono or whatever his name is claimed that us was "sorry" for spamming every iphone 6 with their new cd

Props: Joey and Joey

Mr Ceza

Xplosive Magazine
Jul 10, 2002
You're missing the point.

you can buy used cassettes and vinyl but artists aren't putting out new material on obsolete technology.
WRONG! The biggest HIP HOP Groups/artists still Drop new Vinyl singles and whole albums. And in some parts of the world, cassettes are still being released. Obsolete Technology...in other words one man's trash is another man's treasure! Look it up:classic:

Apr 25, 2002
no one is dropping cassettes. vinyl still gets pressed and it never died. but its not like it once was. before, you had no choice but to drop/buy vinyl. now it's more strategic to press vinyl cus it's not cost efficient, unless you got a strategy.

May 16, 2002
No question physical albums have been declining over the years and have now come to a screeching halt. One, music itself has been going down hill. Artist have lost that hunger and as consumers, we have stopped supporting and like many have stated in here, "Stopped buying garbage."

This trickles down from the biggest artist / label in the industry to the lowest on the underground / independent end.

Although, this may come across like a shameless plug, but I recently released my nephew's mixtape & had plans to go minimum hard copies and go full digital. Since the release date on Oct. 7, 2014 til today he's pushed 567 hard copies to my surprise. We had to go back & press more twice. As much love as he's gotten naturally there has been hate. Some say 500 plus hard copies pushed ain't shit.

I say, count from one to five hundred at a steady pace and you'll quickly realize it's a lot LOL! And hard copies in 2014? With only one single released and no video? I'd say success from an independent stand point to push as many as he has.

My point...

Just like the majors. The bar is raised so high that any artist who doesn't go platinum the first week is done. Gold is no longer good enough. So an artist on a major who perhaps sells 130.000 copies is considered weak and a failure.

Our minds are so programmed to believe if it hasn't gone platinum it's no good. There is still a lot of good music out there, but it's like finding a needle in a haystack.

In 2014 platinum doesn't equal good music. It just means people are illegally downloading and picking and choosing the best tracks. hence what I stated earlier. There is still a lot of good music out there, It's just like finding a needle in a haystack.

Last edited:
May 16, 2002
But in the past I have bought CDs from no name artist who were out pushing them their self in the streets just because they were willing to work
You, I and a whole lot of other people did that. The death of that hustle came due to people figuring out they could record on their home computer & started releasing CD's.

It became a fad for many & overshadowed many that have been doing it with a passion & were seriously trying to make it happen.

All the other ones just saw it as a quick way to gain fame & money, but had no love for the music. And it's easy to see the newcomers. They start day dreaming about how much money they're going to make. How they're going to support their loved & real ones when it happens for them & they only have one album LOL! Let me put it this way, if anybody has had that mentality within the last 5 to 6 years? You are fucking late to this party and seriously need to quit. If this is you? You are 17 years behind.

Had recording music still been like it used to be where you had to find a studio (which was ran by a stranger / wasn't your friend.) Many wouldn't even of started rapping. As a matter of fact, had it not been for rap many wouldn't even be smoking weed. A lot of people feel they need to fit the stereotype when they're recording. Blowing smoke in the studio. Right up on the mic. In reality damaging the recording equipment.

Drinking whatever beverage is popular that year. Hennessy, Patron, Alize', Remy Martin etc.

A lot of people have come up to me and said, "The music is dying, Bro. A lot of people are quitting and not making music anymore."

To which I say, "Good!" Those are the people that came in without passion thinking it was going to happen over night. I'm glad they quit because those are the people that saturated the game & killed & overshadowed our music.

Now, we're back to the basics, but it's a clean slate.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2009
You, I and a whole lot of other people did that. The death of that hustle came due to people figuring out they could record on their home computer & started releasing CD's.

It became a fad for many & overshadowed many that have been doing it with a passion & were seriously trying to make it happen.

All the other ones just saw it as a quick way to gain fame & money, but had no love for the music. And it's easy to see the newcomers. They start day dreaming about how much money they're going to make. How they're going to support their loved & real ones when it happens for them & they only have one album LOL! Let me put it this way, if anybody has had that mentality within the last 5 to 6 years? You are fucking late to this party and seriously need to quit. If this is you? You are 17 years behind.

Had recording music still been like it used to be where you had to find a studio (which was ran by a stranger / wasn't your friend.) Many wouldn't even of started rapping. As a matter of fact, had it not been for rap many wouldn't even be smoking weed. A lot of people feel they need to fit the stereotype when they're recording. Blowing smoke in the studio. Right up on the mic. In reality damaging the recording equipment.

Drinking whatever beverage is popular that year. Hennessy, Patron, Alize', Remy Martin etc.

A lot of people have come up to me and said, "The music is dying, Bro. A lot of people are quitting and not making music anymore."

To which I say, "Good!" Those are the people that came in without passion thinking it was going to happen over night. I'm glad they quit because those are the people that saturated the game & killed & overshadowed our music.

Now, we're back to the basics, but it's a clean slate.
Lol at the smoke damaging the equipment

May 16, 2002
Lol at the smoke damaging the equipment
You ever see how resin collects in a pipe, Breh? Or tar from tobacco? I'm seriously speaking because it happened to a friend of mine. The buttons on the recording equipment were sticking due to that. It was cheaper to buy new equipment than to have it cleaned out.

It doesn't happen right away, but trust me it will damage your shit.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2002
However, Taylor Swift's 1989 is set to release on October 27th, so there's hope?
Taylor Swift's '1989' Set for Biggest Sales Week Since 2002: 1.3 Million-Plus

'1989' also aiming to beat Britney Spears' record sales week for a woman

As the days tick by, the sales forecast for Taylor Swift's 1989 album continues to grow.

As of Nov. 1, with only one full day left in the album's debut tracking week, industry forecasters now say 1989 could sell over 1.3 million copies through Nov. 2.

Thus, the album is now aiming to surpass the one-week sales record for an album by a woman, set by the debut of Britney Spears' Oops! … I Did It Again in 2000, when it arrived with 1.319 million, according to Nielsen SoundScan.

1989 is also set to earn the largest sales week for any album since 2002, when Eminem's The Eminem Show sold 1.322 million in its first full week on sale.

The album's official debut week sales figure, as tabulated by SoundScan, will be announced on Wednesday, Nov. 5.

1989 is Swift's fifth studio effort and was released on Oct. 27 through Big Machine Records.

A little over two weeks ago, forecasters pegged the new album to sell 750,000 in its debut frame. Then, about a week ago (Oct. 23), it was upgraded to 800,000. By mid-day Oct. 27, the album's release day, its projection grew to over 900,000. The next day: 1 million, followed by upgrades to 1.2 million on Oct. 29 and then 1.25 million on Oct. 31.

1989 will be Swift's third consecutive album to sell more than a million copies in its first week, making her the only act ever to earn three million-selling weeks. (She was already the only woman to do it twice since SoundScan started tracking sales in 1991.)

May 16, 2002
Taylor Swift's '1989' Set for Biggest Sales Week Since 2002: 1.3 Million-Plus

'1989' also aiming to beat Britney Spears' record sales week for a woman

As the days tick by, the sales forecast for Taylor Swift's 1989 album continues to grow.

As of Nov. 1, with only one full day left in the album's debut tracking week, industry forecasters now say 1989 could sell over 1.3 million copies through Nov. 2.

Thus, the album is now aiming to surpass the one-week sales record for an album by a woman, set by the debut of Britney Spears' Oops! … I Did It Again in 2000, when it arrived with 1.319 million, according to Nielsen SoundScan.

1989 is also set to earn the largest sales week for any album since 2002, when Eminem's The Eminem Show sold 1.322 million in its first full week on sale.

The album's official debut week sales figure, as tabulated by SoundScan, will be announced on Wednesday, Nov. 5.

1989 is Swift's fifth studio effort and was released on Oct. 27 through Big Machine Records.

A little over two weeks ago, forecasters pegged the new album to sell 750,000 in its debut frame. Then, about a week ago (Oct. 23), it was upgraded to 800,000. By mid-day Oct. 27, the album's release day, its projection grew to over 900,000. The next day: 1 million, followed by upgrades to 1.2 million on Oct. 29 and then 1.25 million on Oct. 31.

1989 will be Swift's third consecutive album to sell more than a million copies in its first week, making her the only act ever to earn three million-selling weeks. (She was already the only woman to do it twice since SoundScan started tracking sales in 1991.)

Dec 25, 2003
LOL!!! & we all know music industry guru Fredster always says it best with the best wit which so lacking in Latin artists & latinos overall... Latin humor is dying too; latins aren't funny to me anymore... But back to this topic Im glad more & more ppl have woken up & reelized quality music is dead in the mainstream & also in the underground for the most part... Almost nothing out there I find interesting & cutting edge anymore... lets all hope this trend continues folks... Don't support & waste your money on garbage & they'll all disappear into obscurity...... Yay!!