MESSY MARV SPEAKS ON THE SO CALLED "NEW BAY"

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 25, 2002
www.soullyric.com
I appreciate Messy speaking on the real, there's no such thing of the NEW BAY. Who paved the way for the new generation? Short, E-40, Spice1, B-Legit, Mac Mall, Mac Dre, 2 Pac, the list goes on but there's NO SUCH THING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so i agree with Mess 110%

PREACH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jul 20, 2002
I don't think calling it the New Bay is harming anything at all. Whatever we use to get our folks pumped about our music again is cool with me. I wish people quit trippin off the New Bay term and focus on making quality music. The Bay originated Mobb Music and everywhere else bit it from us now we on some expanded shit and we can do it like everybody else now. there's a lot of New blood in the game and it only makes it better for us old heads that have been doing this shit for a minute.

Feb 19, 2003
Well, it depends on your INTENTION in the use of the "New Bay" term. I've noticed that, for instance, in Country, some of the recent Country music (i.e. Shania Twain, Faith Hill, Toby Keith, etc.) is often called "New Country." This wouldn't be so bad, but a lot of folks just use that label as an excuse to shut out any artist who made his/her debut before 2000. To them, if it ain't current, it's disposable. It's the whole "you can't join our club 'cause you're too old" mentality. For instance, my neighbor, who's a country freak, has a girlfriend who--you can mention Toby Keith or Shania Twain to her, and she'll smile, but you mention established artists like Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash (R.I.P.) or Waylon Jennings (for instance), and she'll turn her nose up and be like, "eeeeeeewww, that's old shit! It's so not what's happening, blah blah blah..." But these older Country artists should be shown the respect they deserve, IMHO, and shouldn't be shut out just to make room for the new. If an older artist continues to make great records, that person should still be recognized, even if said artist has been around awhile.

My point is, this "New Bay" term could end up doing the same. Fact: Many of the older artists are still making solid, dope, relevant music: Messy himself, San Quinn, Black C. (and his Right Way collegues), Yukmouth, JT and his Get Low associates (even though they've been quiet lately), Jay Tee and his 40 Ounce associates, Mac Dre and his folks (PSD, Dubee), and others. Even if they ARE "older" artists, it should be recognized that there IS still a place for them in today's Rap world ALONG WITH any new dope Bay artists that may blow up. And, like B-12 recently pointed out, a lot of old school Bay artists never really blew up outside the Bay as much as they could have during the '90s', so if they have a chance to sign w/ majors and FINALLY make it big, they deserve it as much as any "New Bay" artist, IMHO.

In other words, this "New Bay" label, if it sticks, should NOT be used as an excuse to shut Mess, Yuk, JT, Quinn, etc. out of the game by the Locksmiths, Balances, etc., so long as the older artists are still making dope records (which many are, IMHO). That's what labels like "New" and "Old" can do to music, if you let them. Just my opinion, though.

PEACE!

Jul 21, 2002
Oklahoma
www.youtube.com
I kinda didn't like the idea of it to be honest, but it apparently is working for the folks using it. I do think it's shitty in the way that I think we'll hear people saying it just for the fuck of it like they are apart of some movement, when they are just a shitty rapper trying to ride the coat tails of something else

Apr 25, 2002
www.soullyric.com
Just to bring it to the "quote unquote" NEW BAY, regardless what the NEW BAY does they'll never sale as many records as Spice1 or Too Short put togehter, that's multi millions and don't forget that Baby Bash a.k.a. Baby Beesh is also part of that generation as well with Potna Deuce which he's selling Multi records. I can go on naming "G" Bay artist but you already no. Spice1 stated in a interview with www.dubcnn.com that he gets no respect from the so called New Bay cats and they forget who helped put them on the map, that's like disrespecting your grandfather whom brought you into this world. So you NEW BAY cats understand whom paved the way and give respect where respect is due.

Apr 25, 2002
hahaha @ rappers gettin pissed off about this shit

They've come out over and over saying they give their props to everyone who's been doing that shit, there ain't shit to get pissed off about they ain't coming out and dissing nobody.

I didn't hear of none of these Bay rappers til about 2001 or so, so if that in itself isn't NEW BAY I don't know what is.

Dec 29, 2003
This shit is crazy, the funny shit is that the new bay cats have been on here hella times and ain't never dissed NONE of the O.G's in bay music. They work wit a West Coast Pioneer in EA-SKI and face it them dudes got fire. Have you heard they mix tape? They got real skillz no hype. Plus I think one of the stupidest statements that i keep hearing people say is "there is no New Bay", yes it is if some one says so...you may not like it but IT IS HERE change has got to happen if the bay wants to make that big splash we bitch about not making in the industry. Where else in the country is only the old cats makin it happen...nowhere. We the only ones still holdinn on to 1993...i liked that music, but shit I like the new shit as well...I think it is in some cases old artist mad that someone had the balls to not beg them for the right to represent the bay...I love the new shit that 40 is doin, but it aint shit like what he use to do...I remember when Yuck was the new nigga pissin off short and shit, now he act like can't no other new nigga get in the game...If yall New BaY niggas read this don't trip cause yall representing the bay all over the country in mags, on t.v and hella mixtapes...plus really think about they really reppin the Bay not just they cities or themselves...they are putting the Bay before themselves and that's big.

Feb 17, 2004
new bizzay

THE NEW BAY COULD HAVE SO MANY FACETS ATTACHED TO THE TITLE ,THE BAY SOUND HAS BEEN THROUGH MANY CHANGES,ALL OUT OF RESPECT OF TIME AND TALENT ,THE RAP SCENE HAS BEEN THROUGH MANY CHANGES,FROM TOO SHORT GAME TAPES WAY BEFORE 75 GIRLS, SHORTY B,TO HAMMER BAGGY ASS PANTS BUT YOU MUST GIVE HAMMER THE CREDIT ON PUTTING THE BAY ON THE MAP FIRST IN A MAJOR WAY!!! NO MATTER IF YOU LIKE IT OR NOT HAMMER PUT THE TOWN OUT THERE NATIONWIDE REAL BIG,EVERYBODY NEW HE COULDNT RAP BUT HE COULD SELL SOME RECORDS!!!!! AND DANCE HIS ASS OFF THAT PUT THE SPOT LIGHT ON THE BAY ALONG WITH DIGITAL UNDERGROUND,PARIS,K-CLOUD,C-FUNK,IMP-RBL POSSE,SEAGRAM,RICHIE RICH (415) E-40 CLICK,CELLY CEL-MALL,DRE, SHIT AND REALLY THE FALCON BOY'S THEY USE TO BUMP ALL THE BAY SHIT WITH THE RADIO SHACK 6X9'S AND ZAPP BOARDS UP AND DOWN MARKET ST,MCALLISTER,FOOTHILL,BANCROFT,EAST 14TH OH(INTERNATIONAL WAY) FOR THE NEW BAY!THERE HAS TO BE A NEW BAY FOR ONE REASON ONLY (TIME) DO THE NEW BAY OWE OR PAY OMAGE TO THE CLASSIC MOBB RAPPERS,THEY BETTER IF THEY WANT TO MOVE FOWARD,DO THEY HAVE TO KISS THEY ASS! NO BUT RESPECT IS MANDATORY EVERYONE IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIER OWN DESTINY AND THE NEW BAY IS A CATAPILLAR WAITING TO BECOME A BUTTERFLY BUT IT NEEDS FOOD TO SURVIVE THATS THE GAME THAT THE VETRANS HAS LEFT FOR YOU TO EAT!!!! ALL THE BULLSHIT THE RECORD COMPANIES,CONTRACTS,DISTRIBUTION,CONCERTS,PROMOTIONS,STUDIOS,STUDIO TIME,MIXING MASTERING ,CD COVERS,POSTERS ,FLYERS,POLICE,BANGIN,SLANGIN,PIMPIN,HUSTLIN,PLAYERS,SHOOTIN,KILLIN,ROBBIN,POLITICAL,GANGSTA,HARDCORE,SICC SHIT,GORY SHIT,BLACK POWER SHIT,ALL THIS SHIT GAME TEACHING YOU HOW TO SURVIVE GOOD OR BAD IT WAS GIVIN TO YOU AT A COST ,$15.A CD FOR OVER 15 YEARS IT HAS TURN BOYS TO MEN,WITH GOOD GAME ,AND A LOT OF DEAD SOILDERS WITH BAD GAME OR IN THE PEN,HOW MANY RAPPERS DO WE NEED SPITTIN THE SAME SHIT THE VETS ARE ONLY GOING TO RESPECT GAME THAT IS ELAVATING AND THE NEW BAY IS LOOKING FOR GAME IN THIER NEW INVIOROMENT WHICH HASNT CHANGE BUT THE FACES THE BLOCKS ARE STILL HELLA DIRTY NIGGAZ STILL DYING AND GETTIN BUCK ON DAILY,BITCHES ARE STILL HOEIN,AND RAPPERS ARE STILL RAPPIN ABOUT IT,SAME STORY NEW BEAT,NEW BAY?OLD BAY?IF IT MAKES SENSE TO ANYBODY IT WILL BE ONE THING TO SAY (RAP ABOUT IT)

OCTAVIUS THE PROMOTER MILLER

SEAGRAM RECORDS CEO
NEXT LEVEL PROMOTION LLC.

STREETS
RADIO
CLUBS
RETAIL
VIDEO
CONCERTS
MANAGEMENT
CONSULTANT FIRM
GIVING 110% TO WINNING EVERYDAY!!!!

CONTACT.
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

offices in oakland-portland-seattle

headquarters
one love records
8714 n. lombard st
portland oregon
(503) 283-5300
(503) 283-7665 fax
please send all demos and radio singles

Nov 25, 2003
Look this is the last time I'm doin this explain the New Bay shit. 1st of all I don't know Messy Marv to speak on him and in return he really don't know me to speak on me as an individual-simply as an artist. We just did a a show wit Messy, Keak and Fully Loaded at space 550 the other day so I don't know-can't worry myself wit it. We did a song wit Quinn on our album so...We finished up a project wit Richie Rich and I produced a few of the tracks on there one of wich we did together (Frontline, Richie Rich & Balance) so... At Quinn's record relese party 40 came up to and said he loves the shit that we doin and not to worry about what rappers say so... Mac Dre asked me to produce some tracks on his next album so... Mac Mall and Ray Luv said they was feelin what we was doin for the Bay so... We work wit EA-SKI so... JT was at one of our New Bay shows and said "I take my hat off to the New Bay..." so... I guess my point is that we are here and if a nigga don't like the way I rep the Bay I can't do anything about that. All I can do is make good music. We ain't never been like "move out the way you old ass nigga we comin" We respect the game and the players that had the bay crackin when they was the new niggas. My uncle is a Richmond pioneer ( Jay Jonna from C.I.N) and that nigga hits me all the time on some keep doin that New Bay shit...In the end I don't give a damn how you feel about me, as long as you judge me by my music.
But I will say that I see how niggas get it twisted, but It ain't my job to make every body like me...I am a nigga from the heart of Richmond born and breed I ain't been rappin for hella long so I am new and I guess that alone could make me new bay....but trust me it's deeper then that. Yall can argue about weather there is a "New Bay" or not...I am going to produce quality tracks, write the best verses I can write and put out an album that I am proud of....plus I ain't the fuckin enemy of the bay...get mad at them niggas who come out here take up our prime radio spots, give us the shity representation in national publications and keep us from getting some real money in our pockets- they the fuckin enemy...So I hope this long ass post helps some people....NO we are not hating on your favorite local artist, NO we are not trying to put a muzzle on the O.G's of Bay music, and NO we ain't goin no where.

May 10, 2002
My patna actually knew you from el cerrito high Left, he said you was coo' peoples, he be makin fun of Locksmith though, I cant remember if it was just joking or if he really thought he was a punk or something,

Like i have said before you aint a stand out rapper to me but you coo' but maybe youll take to another level on the next album you drop we'll see. The new bay is a good concept cuz makes yall stand out from the rest .

The tightest track ive heard yall do is that one with Lil Ric called "I live hear", for the most part i just havent liked the beat selection so far from yall but i need to listen to yall albums some more, i have the first 2 frontline albums yall put out, mixtape or bootlegs whatever yall call it. i admit it I didnt buy them my homeboy did.

Apr 25, 2002
G-Dubb said:
hahaha @ rappers gettin pissed off about this shit

They've come out over and over saying they give their props to everyone who's been doing that shit, there ain't shit to get pissed off about they ain't coming out and dissing nobody.

I didn't hear of none of these Bay rappers til about 2001 or so, so if that in itself isn't NEW BAY I don't know what is.
what he said.

Dec 29, 2003
I meet them Frontline dudes and they was way cool. They was tellin my homie the steps he needed to take to get his song to radio and all types of other shit they knew about the music business. I have yet to hear them diss any vet's in the Bay and they role wit a O.G in EA-SKI. Plus I don't see the big problem. It isn't like they puttin out diss records like 50 cent did when he first came out...they seem to just be doing they thang. And some dudes just ain't being honest, because I have folks that rap that be talking about how when they meet cats like 40, Messy, Yuck and Short them dudes be wanting hells of money to work with them. Things like that force the new artist to say fuck it I'ma do my own thang. In the long run the ones who talk the most shit about someone who ain't talkin shit about them end up looking stupid or like a hater. End result is The Frontline got heat, Balance got heat, 40 still got heat, Quinn still got heat and in the end it makes the whole Bay a better more marketable place.

Oct 31, 2003
@ NEW BAY

:devious: MAN FUCK YALL...NAW I'M JUST HATIN. YOU GUYS ARE ON TOP OF YOUR GAME AND IT MIGHT MAKE SOME FELL NERVOUS CAUSE THEY AIN'T USE TO NEW ARTIST DOING WELL WITH OUT THE HELP OF THE MIGHTY GOLDEN ERA BAY RAPPERS. @ FRONTLINE, I CAN'T WAIT TO HEAR YALL ALBUM THAT SHIT SHOULD BE CLASSIC, YEA I SAID IT CLASSIC. GOOD LUCK AND KEEP REPPIN THE NEW BAY CAUSE I LOOK AT IT AS YALL ALWAYS REPRESENTIN THE YAY.

@LEFT

DAMN, I DIDN'T KNOW YALL WAS DOIN SO FUCKING MUCH WIT BAY ARTIST, MAKES ME WONDER WHAT THE HELL MESSY IS TALKING ABOUT. CAN YALL POST THAT SONG YALL DID WIT QUINN? CAN'T WAIT FOR THAT ALBUM. :devious:

May 29, 2002
I think the new bay should mean that the bay is stepping their game up from where it has been the last few years and that is it. I dont think it should refer to anyone specifically but it should refer to the bay as a whole no matter if the artist is old or new. all artists are stepping their game up from 40 to short to yuk to messy to the new cats. they have all recently put out their best material in a long ass time.

that is what I think the new bay is. I dont really like it when some of the new cats group certain artists into the "new bay".

Apr 25, 2002
www.soullyric.com
I'm feeling all yall New Bay cats but what Mess is saying just the way it sounds, "NEW BAY" the definition can mean many things, it just sounds like a diss even though it may not be. New niggaz on the block, the take over, bow down, you know!!!!!!!!!!, alot of these cats came up when the movement was strong, Black Panther movement, the blockmovement as Mess states. Some of you where still shitin on yourself when these guys were going platinum, and ghetto gold out the trunk. I think the "NEW BAY" should be changed, it's not the fact that you guys are dissin, it just sounds out of content.

Come with something that fits: YAY BABIES, YOUNG BAY HOGGS, NEw Infantry, shit sounds corny but just an idea, you see the picture though.

Nov 25, 2003
Bay Giants hit it right on the head. If you READ our XXL article or LISTEN to our past interviews on KMEL or READ some of my past post you will see that we were saying that there is a movement in the Bay period. We said everybody is steppin they game up and reinventing themselves yada yada yada...so it is not my fault if people didn't read the XXL shit or the Showcase article or listened to the radio or read my post before forming an opinion. The shit that kills me is that if we wanted to we could just rep the Frontline and be like fuck it, but we don't we rep the whole bay (not just Richmond) in everything we do. When Lock was on MTV he could have just worn a Frontline shirt wit our website adress on it like "look at us", but that ain't the case we was stompin around NY in Recognise the BAy t's every day and every where. When we did the XXL interview we could have (like every body else in those articles) just been on some look at me look at what we doin, but we chose to spin the focus on the Bay...little do you know (though it was edited out) we gave THIS GOD DAMN SITE a plug along wit other up and coming bay area websites, artist and clothing companies...we also gave a little spill on how the O.G's out here still puttin it down, it's the country that is sleepin on us, bla bla bla...but like I said we the enemy-right....

And another thing that people get twisted is that we some fuckin kids and that ain't the case. I been around all the shit yall talk about. I was in the garage at my house wit C-Bo wit him spitin verses at me askin me (when I was a youngsta) "what you think of this shit lil nigga"...just because I didn't start rappin till later don't mean a nigga aint been around soakin up game DIRECTLY from the hustla's mouth. Yall got shit wrong...I ain't about to go around yellin out all my street ties, tales and dirt done to get respect- I want mines based on my skills. Like I said I might say New Bay, but I ain't a new Human. I ain't some computer thug or an internet gangsta...I can't hide behind a screen I GOT SHOWS TO DO...hopefully this shit will all come to pass and people (artist and fans alike) will see what we are doing for the Bay and not that we are not doing it the way that they would do it.

and think about this When the Bay was at it's zenith it wasn't just mobb music makin it happen it was Hammer shit, Hyrogliphics, Too Short, Pac (and if you listen to early Pac you will see that he ain't the thug people make him out be, he was on some black panther shit) and a whole list of different styles...thats what made the Bay big- it's diverseness in music...when did we as Bay fans and artist vote to do it all in ONE way...because I missed that gettin my vote counted.

Mar 26, 2003
www.GetGoneRecords.com
I feel Mess thas how i was feelin at first until i met these cats and felt they energy and drive it ain't no disrespect thang dog...
I'll be the first to admit when i first heard the term New Bay it was misinterpreted by me. Left, Lock and Balance are some humble cats they doin they thang and you can't hate. I peeped a few of their venues and i was impressed by what i saw, they got the crowds comin out to support again not only dudes but the ladies too..That's what we need here in this market nigga thas tryin to make it to the top, not just making music for friends and family so you can ride around the hood and beat out in yo scrape.....Radio airplay for bay artist is startin to open up again Frontline is big part of that my niggas EA Ski&CMT and the Done Deal Fam we need to all use this shit as steppin stones to make the bay bigger than it's already becoming. New bay is a movement for young and old, niggas need to just step they game up make some stand out shit and move like big rigs and make these muufuckas recognize all the talent thas out here in the bay area period.................