HUNTERS POINT

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jul 4, 2011
I heard there is hella toxic waste residue in hunters point from the old naval shipyard that caused a lot of people to get sick over the years, did they ever clean that shit up? If they did then that would be the main trigger to set up events to officially push the low income people out of town.

I don't know how middle class people afford to live in San Francisco let alone poor people. Sad thing is in ways it can be just as hard for middle class people because there are no set asides for people who make too much money to be considered poor. If you qualify for enough government programs you can take in damn near the same amount of goods and services as some people who work full time.

Services are one thing, quality of housing is another. One thing to understand about the situation in SF is that a lot of the subsidized/public housing in SF has literally been condemned (i.e. nobody should legally be allowed to live in it)... for 50+ years. The old barracks were never meant to be permanent residences but the SFHA bought them up from the military anyway and pushed blacks into them. The pollution isn't as bad these days obviously since the Superfund site got closed two decades ago but the housing has continued to deteriorate for the better part of 6 decades. This is especially true in HP, Oakdale and Double Rock are fucked up to the point of being uninhabitable. They give it a new paint job every couple of years or so but the damage inside most of the units is all but unfixable... they should've been torn down decades ago.

To answer your question, the middle ground in SF is evaporating and the only poor left over in SF are (generally speaking) the really broke kind (in other words the income disparity is widening). SROs and projects are becoming the only face of the have-nots in SF these days. In a lot of the City they literally are the only face of the poor... The Tenderloin, Fillmore and Potrero Hill are all real-life examples of that.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2006
HP/Bayview has the best weather in all of SF imo.

I used to go to school on 3rd Street. I used to see white dudes in suits walking around trying to offer landlords money.

they need to clean up Market and Mission street near SOMA, hella bums and crack heads... can't tell you how many times I did front flips and awkward hops to avoid stepping in human shit

Jun 5, 2004
Services are one thing, quality of housing is another. One thing to understand about the situation in SF is that a lot of the subsidized/public housing in SF has literally been condemned (i.e. nobody should legally be allowed to live in it)... for 50+ years. The old barracks were never meant to be permanent residences but the SFHA bought them up from the military anyway and pushed blacks into them. The pollution isn't as bad these days obviously since the Superfund site got closed two decades ago but the housing has continued to deteriorate for the better part of 6 decades. This is especially true in HP, Oakdale and Double Rock are fucked up to the point of being uninhabitable. They give it a new paint job every couple of years or so but the damage inside most of the units is all but unfixable... they should've been torn down decades ago.

To answer your question, the middle ground in SF is evaporating and the only poor left over in SF are (generally speaking) the really broke kind (in other words the income disparity is widening). SROs and projects are becoming the only face of the have-nots in SF these days. In a lot of the City they literally are the only face of the poor... The Tenderloin, Fillmore and Potrero Hill are all real-life examples of that.
Last time i was in potrero hill i had actually walked thru the projects there cuz we had to go inside my dudes house to handle what we were doing (was in the like dull colored pink and blue ones) and it was the first time i had got a good view of the layout/structure of them... And i was thinking it did kinda look it coulda been old military barracks at one time.

May 9, 2002
Yep, that's one thing I noticed about states compared to here.

Here youll have low income Ontario housing on one side of the street, the other side 600k condos, down the street 400k bungalos, shit like that, not 30 blocks of low-income.

The only gated and separated communities is the super rich ones, where drake came from lol
They have started doing this in Seattle...sorta. They have basically "revamped" all the project housing, and turned them into "mixed income" housing. So now you can a) live in reduced/fixed income housing or b) buy a fixed rate condo, both are brand new (within the last 5 years).

Jul 4, 2011
Last time i was in potrero hill i had actually walked thru the projects there cuz we had to go inside my dudes house to handle what we were doing (was in the like dull colored pink and blue ones) and it was the first time i had got a good view of the layout/structure of them... And i was thinking it did kinda look it coulda been old military barracks at one time.

Yeah Potrero Hill, Sunnydale, Oakdale, West Point, Harbor Rd, Double Rock, Alemany, etc. were all constructed as barracks. The real projects were in Fillmore, the Mission and Vis Valley... the towers (Geneva, Army Street, OC, Pink Palace, etc.) were constructed by the SFHA, not the military. All the ones that SFHA constructed in the 60s have since been torn down and rebuilt... the oldest SFHA units (the barracks constructed in the early 40s) are all still up with the exception of West Point. Not so coincidentally they're for the most part all in the least white section of SF, the southeast.

The real question is why they didn't start with rebuilding the oldest (and shittiest) units... Seemingly the answer is they're too tucked away for anybody in City Hall or the SFHA to give a fuck. That, and blacks (as well as Pacific Islanders) have no political capital in San Francisco. The first point ultimately won't be true in a few years though, gentrification is pushing its way down to the DC border and fast.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2002
The problem is raising rents and taking away affordability for people who don't make enough. People who have been living in the city for years. It's not possible to raise a family in the city anymore... Beyond that pretty soon your taking your ass to Stockton or Antioch.
then they move to Stockton (since Antioch is more expensive) and rents rise, pricing out original Stocktonians who been living here for generations. theres nothing cheaper then here, except maybe if you go down to the Merced area.

a certain community will always get fucked.

mouth_my_nuts

🖕🏻🖕🏻🖕🏻🖕🏻🖕🏻🖕🏻🖕🏻
Feb 16, 2006
I was reading that there's a higher murder rate in hunters point than there is in Chicago based on population. Don't know if it's valid info though.

Jan 5, 2006
You don't own your home even if you paid it off. You still pay property taxes on that bitch 1-2 times a year, and everything you do to your house requires permission... aside from small things like paint/yard unless you're HOA. Also it's possible your house can be claimed by the state when you die.

Chicago has to have the higher murder rate, it's about 100 times the size of HP and SF is probably 5-10 times smaller. SF is densely populated but I have to believe Chicago still takes the wrap.

May 9, 2002
making payments on a home is totally different than renting a home. just saying.
Which has nothing to do with what i wrote.

You dont OWN a house until the LOAN you got, most likely from a BANK, is paid OFF. Therefore, its a misnomer to say you OWN a house, that has not been paid off. In actuality, you are paying "rent" to the bank (and is often called such). If you default on the loan, guess what happens? The bank, the OWNER of your house (becuase again...you did not buy it outright yet), will take it over. This is when short sales and the like happen.

Paying rent to a landlord and paying back money on a loan to the bank (mortgage), in the literal sense...are different. However, the general idea is the same: you are paying someone to live there, and if you dont? You get kicked out.

Feb 8, 2006

You dont OWN a house until the LOAN you got, most likely from a BANK, is paid OFF. Therefore, its a misnomer to say you OWN a house, that has not been paid off. In actuality, you are paying "rent" to the bank (and is often called such). If you default on the loan, guess what happens? The bank, the OWNER of your house (becuase again...you did not buy it outright yet), will take it over. This is when short sales and the like happen.

Paying rent to a landlord and paying back money on a loan to the bank (mortgage), in the literal sense...are different. However, the general idea is the same: you are paying someone to live there, and if you dont? You get kicked out.
if you didn't know that then you shouldn't be in this conversation
I was saying if you pay your mortgage you can stay. if you live in a housing authority you can be relocated

May 9, 2002
if you didn't know that then you shouldn't be in this conversation
I was saying if you pay your mortgage you can stay. if you live in a housing authority you can be relocated
True, however they will aggressively try to buy out your mortgage, most cases so they can bulldoze your shit. It was a big issue here a decade ago when they started these rebuilds.

Props: GTS and GTS
Jun 5, 2004
Yeah Potrero Hill, Sunnydale, Oakdale, West Point, Harbor Rd, Double Rock, Alemany, etc. were all constructed as barracks. The real projects were in Fillmore, the Mission and Vis Valley... the towers (Geneva, Army Street, OC, Pink Palace, etc.) were constructed by the SFHA, not the military. All the ones that SFHA constructed in the 60s have since been torn down and rebuilt... the oldest SFHA units (the barracks constructed in the early 40s) are all still up with the exception of West Point. Not so coincidentally they're for the most part all in the least white section of SF, the southeast.

The real question is why they didn't start with rebuilding the oldest (and shittiest) units... Seemingly the answer is they're too tucked away for anybody in City Hall or the SFHA to give a fuck. That, and blacks (as well as Pacific Islanders) have no political capital in San Francisco. The first point ultimately won't be true in a few years though, gentrification is pushing its way down to the DC border and fast.
Yea, thats exactly what popped into my mind when i saw them, they looked like some old barracks. Esp because of all the old military shit that was built in frisco... Ive seen some pretty rough areas all across the country in my life (i used to work for my boys dad on the east coast and midwest basically fixing up low income houses and he would flip them), but potrero hill was up there... It was lookin rough, but it wasnt so much run-down as it was active and mainey as fuck... On the way up it was the usual scene for any hood, dope fiends runnin around etc... Bein at the spot was coo.. But on our way out, we started drivin past the park and there was a group of niggas chasing this other dude down the street with a baseball bat, and right as we seen that, a gang task pulls to right right in front of us and damn near hits us... I turn back around to look whats happening and one of the dudes chasing that one dude has a red-nose pit attatched to his leg... The whole time this is crackin were ridin with a brand new oochie wally oochie bangbang... Its me and my boy in the whip with 2 of our frisco homies, one of these niggas has hella warrants so he starts trippin, and the other one is trippin the whole time cuz he was fillmore and he felt like he was outta bounds or whatever... Lol so it ended up working out but it did get kinda hectic for a minute on the way out

And i aint exxagerating shit for the sake of telling a story, that is just how the shit played out. I dont suggest that any rap fans on here go sightseeing in potrero hill just because you heard it in a rap song and thought it sounded cool, lol.

troythemac

Deep Slumps
Feb 13, 2013

actually, it'd be a misnomer to say the bank owned your home, considering it wouldn't be the bank's name on the dotted line of the property deed, but yours.

misnomer=a wrong or inaccurate name or designation.

it'd be like if you said the warriors own oracle arena, and i said oakland/alameda own it.

in both instances you are right literally, and i'm right technically