Bay Area breaking mainstream

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Sep 27, 2012
Sacrmento, Ca
Maybe I'm the only one excited that the bay area is finally getting some exposure for the sound we created and how innovative we are and always have been. I've heard Philthy Rich and Keak on the radio, of course Iamsu is gettin his grind on with mainstream artists and he's got a few songs on the radio, Traxamillion got a dope song on the radio right now and E-40 is killin shit as always with his own joints and features. Showbanga just got his video on MTV with Sage produced by June. And that Baby Bash song is dope as well....kinda baffled on how Baby Bash doesn't get a lot of credit as being a dope bay artist on the radio I don't like all his stuff but he stays relevant. Dope how everybody's working together and making good music without all the soap opera stories and "twitter beefs"

Mr Ceza

Xplosive Magazine
Jul 10, 2002
Hearing a Bay artist on KMEL does NOT mean anyone made it. Does NOT mean we are breaking Mainstream. If we are played on numerous stations outside of the Bay Area, then I will agree with you 100%. BAY AREA Radio Stations have a very small Portal they allow our Artists to travel through. Never too many at a time, and always vetted and background checked before allowing to make it through. Yes Congrats to Philthy Rich and Sage and E-40 for staying relevant, but there is so much great music out here, guess that's why there are numerous places Bay Area artists are getting shine via print, internet and products themselves.

Mr Ceza

Xplosive Magazine
Jul 10, 2002
Oh yeah to further what I said. The Mainstream Bay Area Industry-Yes it does exist! controls the biggest platforms, Radio, Print, Accessibility to these, and Venues. Iamsu is surely talented and deserving of all SPOTLIGHTS. But please always remember in this MAINSTREAM BAY AREA INDUSTRY, there's always a Flavor of the Month. That's how they keep the masses following the Industry. Because they make you believe You could be the next Artist getting on the Radio, Spotlight, etc.

Sep 27, 2012
Sacrmento, Ca
Hearing a Bay artist on KMEL does NOT mean anyone made it. Does NOT mean we are breaking Mainstream. If we are played on numerous stations outside of the Bay Area, then I will agree with you 100%. BAY AREA Radio Stations have a very small Portal they allow our Artists to travel through. Never too many at a time, and always vetted and background checked before allowing to make it through. Yes Congrats to Philthy Rich and Sage and E-40 for staying relevant, but there is so much great music out here, guess that's why there are numerous places Bay Area artists are getting shine via print, internet and products themselves.
I dont live in the bay anymore I live in Sacramento now which aint that far away but they dont play anything local at all whatsoever. So it is refreshing to hear some bay cats get some spins especially knowing how the popular sound right now came from the bay.......i hardly listen to the radio and know that theres an infinite amount of avenues an artist can pursue to get their music out there but its still good to hear some bay area artist get some play for a change. and I did leave out G-Eazy i forgot about him he's doin his shit too...i hate that song he got wit future but its a hit

Sep 27, 2012
Sacrmento, Ca
Oh yeah to further what I said. The Mainstream Bay Area Industry-Yes it does exist! controls the biggest platforms, Radio, Print, Accessibility to these, and Venues. Iamsu is surely talented and deserving of all SPOTLIGHTS. But please always remember in this MAINSTREAM BAY AREA INDUSTRY, there's always a Flavor of the Month. That's how they keep the masses following the Industry. Because they make you believe You could be the next Artist getting on the Radio, Spotlight, etc.
it's interesting you say that because I always thought that but never really just sat and took all of it in, but that does make a lot of sense.

Mixerr

Mixerr Reviews
Nov 17, 2012
Austin, Texas, US
www.facebook.com
To the OP, the peak popularity of Baby Bash was in the 00's era. E-40 is still killing shit and being relevant despite me not liking his recent stuff. Traxamillion is doing his thang as a producer. G-Eazy and Iamsu are the ones that are relevant and out there right now.

DODE

Sicc OG
Dec 30, 2011
I think it's funny that some of you guys think the bay area radio station don't get people's music out there on A near mainstream level.

Do you know how many people live in the bay area ? It's one of the largest most populated areas in America. San Francisco is an iconic city known worldwide, like Paris and London.getting bay area music played on the radio stations here is a pretty big deal.... it opens doors and gains lots of exposure.
I don't think some of yall realize where you live.

Last edited:

SF TRAXX

Composer / Producer
To my knowledge, the radio playlists are controlled on a national level with only a small window for regional acts. So to gain access - even if its at 2am - you must be doing something right.

Also, having bay artists, sh*t, even having a "bay sound" on the radio IMO is definitely a step forward for the bay in terms of exposure and that should be acknowledged as well.

Props: DODE and DODE