Siccness Tech Goons

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jan 5, 2006
Serious question here, any of you work in the Tech industry? Software Engineer/Database Administrator/Network Admin/Web Developer/Project Manager etc...?

I know some cats who are making $140k a year with bonuses. But shit the Bay Area is getting expensive! Started learning Java programming this semester, will probably pick up Javascript as well and either Ruby + Rails or Python + Django.

Jun 6, 2014
Earth
I am going to learn ruby on rails next semester. I've been fixing computers since before i could drive but always just did it on the side on craigslist to put extra cash in my pocket. The past couple of years business has been kind of slowing down. I attribute that to declines in prices for new technology. ppl r getting rid of laptops for tablets or just use their phone. Thats why i am majoring in computer science. IDK whati will do with my degree but at least i will have one.

Jan 5, 2006
I am going to learn ruby on rails next semester. I've been fixing computers since before i could drive but always just did it on the side on craigslist to put extra cash in my pocket. The past couple of years business has been kind of slowing down. I attribute that to declines in prices for new technology. ppl r getting rid of laptops for tablets or just use their phone. Thats why i am majoring in computer science. IDK whati will do with my degree but at least i will have one.
I've been told by people in the field that you should at least learn how to program because it teaches you a new way of thinking.

You can do a lot of different stuff with a CompSci degree. I'm double majoring but damn CompSci math is pretty useless, 3 semesters of Calculus (differential equations too) Farthest I got was Geometry.

Sounds like you could be a computer systems analyst since you know the hardware side, and if you learn the software side too, you could do that.

I don't know how old you are, but there's a program called "Year Up" which has a cut off at age 24... I wish I would've found out about this program when I was 23. My co-worker is in the program, he's almost done... pretty much they teach you the interpersonal communications aspect and basic computer stuff, they also pay you a bit and give you a stipend for public transportation. My coworker got placed in an internship with Zynga in IT-support. If they like him, he'll end up being full-time.

I also just learned about Hack Reactor and Dev Bootcamp in SF, for about $12,000 ~ $18,000 you learn to code intensely over the next 3 months, 11 hour days 6 days a week minimum, but at the end you get 6 figure job offers if you complete the program, if you don't you get your money back. Hack Reactor also has a 99% employment rate since a lot of companies partner up with them, that 1% supposedly was from some people who dropped out.

Jan 31, 2008
keep it up dude because in my opinion that is the way to go.
I am working on a few projects and unfortunately I seem to be needing to do or learn to do everything on my own. From developing the concept, to writing the code, to learning to graphic design, to marketing to financing it etc.
I don't really want to develop 'business' relationships for any of these start-ups and I dont want any venture capitalists.
At a certain point I think id rather spend 5 years doing the whole thing on my own than paying somebody or allowing others to invest financially.

I dont want to get to a point where my ideas are coming to fruition but yet I still find myself somebody's bitch just because their money is running shit.

Either way good shit and good luck. Keep it up.

Aug 21, 2014
I'm not working in the industry but learning java is probably the right start. I'd personally recommend learning python and then also ruby. If you want to be more strictly webdev than ruby might be the way to go. I would still learn python. If you get into the admin side of things on linux python is a lot stronger and has a bigger base.

There's some shady shit going on though. If you just want to work for a company keeping their old ass software running, Java and C would be good to learn. I would look into how the job market is for administrating mainframes or scada systems if I wanted a mostly boring cushy job.

Coach E. No

Jesus es Numero Uno
Mar 30, 2013
in my opinion, internet security and forensics are something that will never go away. The programming stuff and learning particular software is always kinda playing behind the 8ball because you never know when they are going to come out with something new. It is definitely useful to be able to read code and program things if you want to and the security/forensics side has to have a working knowledge of that but as far as a career, those things seem like they would be more of a sure thing. In the bay though, there's so many qualified people out there, I can't imagine what the job market must be like.

short

Sicc OG
Feb 2, 2006

ima go to school for computers next year. computer software applications first then either a network administrator or technician. the applications part is centered around microsoft ofice then internet explorer and finally windows 7. the network administrator is all those courses and includes programming routers and configuring networks. since everything runs on computers those skills are needed these days. the dreaded typing test is included but i always cheat. typing with 2 fingers on each hand is faster for me than using all 10 fingers at once

Aug 21, 2014
in my opinion, internet security and forensics are something that will never go away.

THIS. Along with physical and network penetration testing being required for HIPAA compliance now, the markets pretty big. I never went to college but learned on the blackhat side of things when I was younger, I need to go get some degrees and hopefully put that knowledge to a career.

Apr 16, 2003
google.com
Finally getting back into tech. Working on my Windows Server track at the moment. I work with a lot of engineers. From the folks I work with, if you're a UNIX system admin, Oracle DBA you're raking it in. After that is the Windows Sys admins and Network engineers. The folks that are working in Cloud technologies are doing good too. A ton of shit out here where I work is moving to the cloud, virtualization is HUGE.

Nov 28, 2011
Been in the tech industry for about 12 years now. Went from Jr. Admin to Senor Windows Systems admin to IT manager and now I'm the Director if IT. Things are constantly changing and I just recently moved our enterprise phone system to the cloud. I spent the last few years upgrading all of our servers to 2008/2012 R2 virtualizing all of the hardware at all of our sites and now the CIO is talking about moving that to the cloud (IaaS) Infrastructure as a Service. I've been gearing up for software-d​efined networking (SDN)...

May 9, 2002
THIS. Along with physical and network penetration testing being required for HIPAA compliance now, the markets pretty big. I never went to college but learned on the blackhat side of things when I was younger, I need to go get some degrees and hopefully put that knowledge to a career.
HIPAA is actually not a "big deal" next to PCI compliance. Thats the big dig at the moment.

Aug 21, 2014
Quick google says it's been necessary for PCI compliance for about 6 years now? I had no idea. I've seen a lot of elementary level penetration testing companies popup since around that time so it makes a lot of sense now.