Feds Spending $10 Million to Build Robot Companions for Children

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 2, 2006

Feds Spending $10 Million to Build Robot Companions for Children | Washington Free Beacon

The National Science Foundation has committed $10 million to build robots that will act as “personal trainers” for children, in an effort to influence their behavior and eating habits.

The government has spent $2.15 million so far for the five-year project, which is being led by Yale University. The project, “Robots Helping Kids,” will ultimately “deploy” robots into homes and schools to teach English as a second language, and encourage kids to exercise.

The project will develop a “new breed of sophisticated ‘socially assistive’ robots,” designed to help children “learn to read, appreciate physical fitness, overcome cognitive disabilities, and perform physical exercises,” according to a news release by Yale University when the grant was first announced in 2012.

“Just like a good personal trainer, we want the robots to be able to guide the child toward a behavior that we desire,” said Brian Scassellati, a computer science professor at Yale and principal investigator for the study

“What we want to do is move these robots out of the laboratory and into schools and homes and clinics, places where we can directly help children on a day-to-day basis,” he said.

The NSF grant said the project is necessary due to “critical societal problems.”
“The need for this technology is driven by critical societal problems that require sustained, personalized support that supplements the efforts of educators, parents, and clinicians,” the grant said.

Scassellati envisions the robots influencing nearly every aspect of children’s lives.
“We want them to help children learn language, we want to help them learn better eating habits, we want them to learn new social or cognitive skills through their interactions with these robots,” he said. “And the robots will be supporting with the efforts we already have with human therapists, and their parents, and their communities. The robots will supplement those activities and allow us to give children more continuous and more detailed support.”

The project is seeking to create robots that could be personal companions to children for up to a year. Scassellati said he wants to “build a healthy relationship of trust and respect between the child and the robot.”

“At the end of five years we’d like to have robots that can guide a child toward long-term educational goals, be customized for the particular needs of that child, and basically grow and develop with the child,” he said. “We want the robot to be the equivalent of a good personal trainer.”
The NSF has allotted $10 million for the study through 2017. The grant is one of the highest amounts the agency dispenses.

The University of Southern California, MIT, Stanford, and Tufts University are listed as partners for the project. Willow Garage, a personal robotics company, is also participating in the research.

Scassellati said the robots would “not replace” humans, but provide additional attention and guidance for children. The research is focusing on both “regularly developing children and those with social or cognitive deficits.” Some of Scassellati’s prior research has focused on how robots can help kids with Autism.

“If we’re successful in this, we think we can make a real difference in the lives of children,” he said. “And we think that we can produce some of the most interesting, the most engaging, and the most competent social robots that we’ve ever seen.”

:dead:

Feb 2, 2006
there goes 100 students college tuition money down the toilet

The project will develop a “new breed of sophisticated ‘socially assistive’ robots,” designed to help children “learn to read, appreciate physical fitness, overcome cognitive disabilities, and perform physical exercises,” according to a news release by Yale University when the grant was first announced in 2012.

isnt this what parents are suppoed to do :dead::ermm:

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2007
there goes 100 students college tuition money down the toilet

isnt this what parents are suppoed to do :dead::ermm:
Exactly !!!

May 7, 2013
33°
www.hoescantstopme.biz
The little yellow robot in the vid is called Keepon with a focused purpose of use with autistic children. Autistic children have a hard time making eye contact and Keepon helps them learn to establish that to help build social skills and abilities. The robots geared toward children is great so as long as they are not used for evil purposes including indoctrination of our children. I actually just began getting involved with robotics programming recently and it is actually fun to develop programs and see the robots carry them out. Actually that is not all the way true as I programmed certain systems (DoD) 4-6 years ago, but what I've been diving into more recently is non DoD, not set lines of code, and more enjoyable as I am not involved with programming things to watch and kill innocent people.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2006

the real scheme behind this program is to ultimately devoid the parents of any responsibility in raising their kids. in other words a so-called "robot nanny" state. if this scheme succeeds expect this to eventually be rolled out nationwide. in the future each family might be required to have one of these robots

Jun 5, 2004
give me $10 milly & I'll act like a robot for kids 8 hours a day 5 days a week for the rest of my life.

But the parents are gonna realize somethins up when they hear the robot tell the kid, "ay little man, do me a favor and go up to 7-11 and gimmie a tall can of mickeys and some orange zig-zags... Break this $100 i need all $1's for the titty bar later tonight... Get yaself a nutty buddy but dont be slick i want my reciept ya lil bastid!"

May 9, 2002
the real scheme behind this program is to ultimately devoid the parents of any responsibility in raising their kids. in other words a so-called "robot nanny" state. if this scheme succeeds expect this to eventually be rolled out nationwide. in the future each family might be required to have one of these robots
No, its not. Do you always wear a tinfoil hat?