Jake the Flake cassette tapes?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Dec 26, 2009
I've seen them sell for in the median range from $20-$33 lately. Thank you RVPD.
Maybe his first tape "Out 2 Get Rich" that was only on tape but I doubt that others would go that high.

Actually that "Out 2 Get Rich" is available for like $15 on discogs.

http://www.discogs.com/buy/Cassette/Jake-The-Flake-Out-2-Get-Rich/178638152?ev=bp_titl

and "Jake The Flake & The Flint Thugs" for $9.99 on amy

http://www.amazon.com/Jake-Flake-Fl...qid=1408128632&sr=1-1&keywords=jake+the+flake

Mixerr

Mixerr Reviews
Nov 17, 2012
Austin, Texas, US
www.facebook.com
Maybe his first tape "Out 2 Get Rich" that was only on tape but I doubt that others would go that high.

Actually that "Out 2 Get Rich" is available for like $15 on discogs.

http://www.discogs.com/buy/Cassette/Jake-The-Flake-Out-2-Get-Rich/178638152?ev=bp_titl

and "Jake The Flake & The Flint Thugs" for $9.99 on amy

http://www.amazon.com/Jake-Flake-Fl...qid=1408128632&sr=1-1&keywords=jake+the+flake
You're right. I was checking beforehand in order to prevent me from making any dumb mistakes. Such as spending too much money on one tape. That's all.

Apr 4, 2006
www.myspace.com
Never knew about the SMG version. Thanks swoop187.
Yeah there is an SMG version, most of the "semi-underground" stuff had SMG versions.... Dayton Family, Master P etc...

The covers are cooler but I really don't see why they're so collectable.

They're a bit more rare but not much...

I prefer to collect promos - those are 100x more rare than the OG version, considering they're all first press and most likely the first off the press considering they go straight to radio stations.

Collectors just don't like them because technically they're illegal to sell.

Apr 4, 2006
www.myspace.com
That never seems to be the case for me. Weird huh?
Well the cover and sometimes the disc is usually stamped in gold and it says "this product belongs to ____ record company"

Those promos are the first to go out because how else would you know to buy the cd if you haven't hard it first on the radio or by a DJ spinning it or putting it on his mixtape.

So all promos are certainly OG's..

Mixerr

Mixerr Reviews
Nov 17, 2012
Austin, Texas, US
www.facebook.com
Well the cover and sometimes the disc is usually stamped in gold and it says "this product belongs to ____ record company"

Those promos are the first to go out because how else would you know to buy the cd if you haven't hard it first on the radio or by a DJ spinning it or putting it on his mixtape.

So all promos are certainly OG's..
What I mean by that is whenever I buy promo CD's, they have the same tracklisting. Meaning that they're of no value.

Apr 4, 2006
www.myspace.com
Not the Ras Kass - Van Gogh or the 2002 KRS-ONE album on Koch. Those didn't have the same tracklisting.
Of course they didn't have the same track listing - they changed the format of the CD based on the promo..

It's quite usual for promos to have completely different track listing or even tracks that aren't on the official release..

All a promo is - is basically a "test run" of a cd sent to radio stations... It's almost like a pilot for a TV show...

That's why I like promos so much.... Many can be way different than the official release - even the cover and artwork can be different.

Most promos are nothing more than a marketing trial.

Radio stations play certain songs or in some cases the entire album and then poll people to think what they think about the album. Some tracks are cut and replaced with instrumentals and other tracks are added..

That's why the record companies in theory own them because all that music is preparatory - hence even buying or selling a promo is considered corporate espionage - not that anyone has ever been charged for selling or buying a promo.