The official 2014 Raiders offseason thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Defy

Cannabis Connoisseur
Jan 23, 2006
Rich City
Oakland Raiders sign cornerback Taiwan Jones to extension

The Raiders signed cornerback Taiwan Jones to a three-year contract extension Monday, keeping the local product in a silver-and-black uniform through the 2017 season.

"I was excited when they came to me about the extension," Jones said in a statement provided by the Raiders. "It is definitely a blessing for a local kid to be part of the Raiders turnaround. I've been an underdog all my life, so it's very fitting for me to remain here."

Jones' extension is worth $4.35 million, meaning he is slated to earn $5 million over the next four seasons. He will be paid $650,000 for the 2014 season.

Jones, a Deer Valley High School graduate, started his NFL career as a running back, when the Raiders selected him in the fourth round of the 2011 draft.

He converted to cornerback last season as a way of getting on the field more often. The Raiders already had Darren McFadden, Rashad Jennings and Jeremy Stewart at running back.

Jones spent most of his time on special teams, where he developed into one of the league's best players on kick and punt coverage.

Raiders coach Dennis Allen and Jones' teammates campaigned hard for Jones to be recognized for his stellar special teams play by being selected to the Pro Bowl.

That didn't materialize, but Jones vowed to work harder and perform better in 2014 and beyond. He now has the opportunity to do so for the Raiders.

"I feel good about next year," Jones said. "Obviously, I was able to do a lot of good things on special teams last year. Unfortunately, I didn't make the Pro Bowl last year, but that is something I'm shooting for this year."

Nov 20, 2013
it sucks if we lose young talent, but we can't go back to the al davis days of paying way too much.

Vic Tafur ‏ V @VIC Tafur 1h
Griffen gets $8.5M/year w/ #Vikings. Bennett $7.125M/year w/ #Seahawks. Just like that, the ceiling is set for Lamarr Houston. #Raiders
Vic Tafur ‏ V @VIC Tafur 1h
What was the franchise tag for defensive ends again? $13.1 million

Jun 23, 2005
I want veldheer to stay, but not at the franchise tag number. Houston wants too much and we for sure won't overpay him. Hopefully we pick up one of the two lineman Robinson of Mathews , but I doubt they drop to 5. If not them two clowney or Watkins would be my
Next choice .

Dream scenario for free agency would be bring in Mack to play center, move lil wiz to lg and keep veldheer

Nov 20, 2013
The raiders are gonna have to over pay to get people to come to Oakland right now.
it's one thing to overpay a bit, but it would be stupid to just throwaway money after we just got rid of all the bad contracts. reggie can afford to be patient, he has at least another year before he'll get canned. it's the coaching staff that's on the way out if the season goes to shit again.

Meta4iCAL

Raider Nation
Feb 21, 2005
Not a fan of letting veldheer and houston walk away. I think it's always good to take care of your own players first. When you draft players and they perform you should try to hold onto them as much as you can. Now we're gonna sign saffold. I'll be honest I don't know a lot about him, but he's supposed to be injury prone and fits more at guard... yet we're gonna pay him $8m... go figure

Sep 15, 2009
Damn. Raiders have $64 million in cap space. That means they're gonna give Darrell Revis $80 mil lol

The Raiders have a lot of money to make some great moves. You fans better hope it's well spent