adam dunn traded to the oakland a's

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 2, 2006
White Sox trade Adam Dunn to Athletics - Chicago Tribune

The Chicago White Sox traded veteran first baseman/designated hitter Adam Dunn to the Oakland Athletics on Sunday in exchange for minor league pitcher Nolan Sanburn.

The White Sox also sent cash considerations to Oakland. Dunn agreed to waive his no-trade clause to make the deal happen before Sunday night's deadline for postseason eligibility

Baseball America ranked the 6-foot, 175-pound Sanburn as the No. 10 prospect in the A’s organization entering the 2014 season. Sanburn, 23, was 3-1 with a 3.28 ERA, six saves and 73 strikeouts in 42 relief appearances this season for Class-A Stockton of the California League.

Sox general manager Rick Hahn indicated Saturday night that he was willing to explore all opportunities to improve his ballclub moving forward. Earlier Saturday, the Sox traded outfielder Alejandro De Aza to the Baltimore Orioles for prospects

"It is a priority for us to continue to build upon the progress we've made the last few years with our system, both internationally and through the draft," Hahn said. "Another way of doing that is via trade.

"The deadline is 11 (p.m. Sunday), so we are going to keep working and exploring some opportunities."

Sox manager Robin Ventura said he spoke with Dunn after Saturday night’s game regarding the pending trade. Asked to describe Dunn’s tenure with the Sox, Ventura said:

Well, I mean, great teammate. Those are the things, for me, that are really important. Things that people don't see is him inside the clubhouse, just kind of how to act, how to go about your business and be accountable. I think he's one of the best I've ever been around for that. So I'm happy that he gets to go somewhere and get a chance to make it to the playoffs. But he's a guy that came in and I know that for all three years, he's been a leader."

Ventura described his range of emotions after saying goodbye to veteran players such as Gordon Beckham, De Aza and Dunn

"It's part of the game. There's guys in here you enjoy being around and you appreciate the work that they've done, with De Aza and now Dunner, but that's part of the game,” Ventura said. “You move on. Guys do move on. These young guys don't want you sitting around longing for the other guys just because they're veterans. So you understand the emotions your own team's going through, but there's a game to play today and there's guys that are up here that are very excited. Andy Wilkins is very excited for the opportunity and we're excited for him."

Wilkins was called up from Triple A Charlotte and will play first base Sunday against the Tigers.

short

Sicc OG
Feb 2, 2006
if nothing else the former white sox legend gets to play in the postseasin for the 1st time in a great career

Jan 18, 2006
I'm not really a baseball fan, and I'm Giants first, but just as a casual outsider, the A's look mighty desperate. They might join the likes of The SJ Sharks w/ always blowin it somehow.
Difference is there doing well with a far less team salary then most teams in baseball. Think of the Yankees trying to compete with a team whos payroll is less then 100 million they cant do it. The A's have proved time and time again that they can. Giants havent been under 100 million either. Are they desperate no, choosing pitching over hitting is the better explanation. Hasnt been that successful so far but if they get to the playoffs could still prove all the naysayers wrong

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2006
Looks like the Dunn pick up has paid dividends already. I see him producing every couple of games but not consistently. Definitely a good bat to have in the playoffs, what is he DH?

Aug 17, 2002
Billy B usually makes the right move, but "dam it" on this one. he should have deviated from his formula. Fuck the Angels.

Aug 17, 2002
if nothing else the former white sox legend gets to play in the postseasin for the 1st time in a great career
i hope so. only two games in front of Anaheim and Yankees are starting to push. not saying it's over for them but they should not be in this situation.