Question about setting up artwork for a t-shirt...

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Mar 21, 2013
Wondering if anyone could help. I wanted to get a t-shirt done by silk screen. The t-shirt will be black, and the artwork is black and white. I have the photoshop file still (I used cs3 for it), and I was wondering how to set it up? Mir can I just use a jpg file? What's the best way for the better quality?

Thanks in advance if you can help...

Mar 21, 2013
they probably will need a TIF or PSD file . Make sure its a 300dpi and cmyk format or grey scale if its just a black and white design. Also if you're getting them printed on white shirts the file can be just the black portion of the design w/ no background. Hope that helps.
I really appreciate that. It's gonna be on a black t-shirt for sure because it looks better on there. What about if it was in color like for example 3 color? Would the process be the same?

Jan 5, 2006
It depends on the printer, each printer has different requirements. But pretty much echoing what Dubba said... some printers will require you to separate each color by layer, so all reds will be one layer, all greens another layer, just as an example. Since you're printing black on a black shirt they'll probably charge you for a base coat so that the black shows up.

Apr 25, 2002
I've used High resolution PDF's 3 times for two different silk screen shops. You should be fine with those. Ask the shop when getting the quote for your product. Good luck homie.