What Qualifies Your Input Here?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 21, 2002
Sacramento, CA
We've had quite a few polls to pull certain demographics (age, location, school, etc.) appear at siccness.net. This one is unique in that I am asking you what you believe qualifies yourself to post input to this particular forum. What's your education backaround? Interesting life experiences? Age? Marital status? Kids? Areas of interest or study? Self-taught? What's your cultural backaround? Spend time abroad?

If you're still confused, I'll go first to show you what I mean. We'll learn a bit more about one another and maybe expose yet uncovered common ground.

I'm 33, married (8 years this July), with 5 kids (all boys, including a set of 17-month-old twins). I graduated HS in 1991 and went to community college for a year or so (studying the business of music and contract law). I also attended and graduated from Heald (tech stuff).

By trade I'm a techie. Started out in progamming (COBOL) and later moved to network building, maintenance, & administration. Together with a business partner we run a free computer help site. We also run a mobile media site concentrating on the Sony PSP and the Apple iPod (video). We have bigger plans on the horizon, but just plans for now.

I spent one tour as a US Marine during Desert Storm - Somalia (never actually got to go overseas though). It was awesome looking back. I'm a huge people person and greatly enjoyed meeting so many people from differnt backarounds. The world is a huge place my friends.

As a young kid I'd vist my grandpa and read thru his encyclopedias from A-Z. I'd spend hours soaking up everything I could get my hands on. I inherited this trait from my mom who still has a huge library in her home today. I used to say I was, "chock full of useless knowledge". But to this day, I kill at Jeopardy, Scattergories, Trivial Pursuit, & Scrabble. I know all kinds of stuff I have no business knowing LOL!

In my life I've known birth, death, near death, happiness, pain, sorrow, conquer and defeat. I come from a mixed cultural home (my mother is Mexican, my father is Black (though not my birth-father)) and I married a Black woman myself. Our relationship hasn't been perfect by the way. We've been seperated more than once and almost divorced. But I think we've worked out the bugs and things are cool now.

As you can see I'm generally very open and honest. I have nothing to hide nor gain by telling "stories". If I don't know something, I'll tell you, "I don't know". If I do, I'll give you whatever relevant feedback you wish. No one could ever accuse me of being a know-it-all blowhard. I usually only offer what you ask for.

Next?

Mar 9, 2005
5 kids? Sweet! That must be a handful!

OK, fair enough. I don't consider a knowledgeable background as a prerequisite for posting on this forum, but I have to admit that atleast having some experience is helpful to understanding several of the topics and their intricacies

I'm 26 years of age, born and bred in Adelaide Australia, the youngest of two boys. I didn't finish high-school - I found drugs and girls far more educational than what teachers had to offer. After spending several years fucking around and having fun I realised that I needed to change my life in order to become a useful member of society.

I started working as an apprentice chef, but even though I love cooking I couldn't do it for a living. Ever since I was a child I enjoyed reading popular science books, and even though I initially rebelled against education I have always considered myself REASONABLY intelligent (my mother and father were in MENSA, the top 2% of the population in intelligence - although their methods of testing have been the topic of numerous arguments).

I sat what is called a STAT (state tertiary admissions test), which gave me a score high enough to be awarded a position in a bachelor of biotechnology at Flinders University. After completing the three year degree, I completed my honours year in plant biochemistry and am now into my first year of my PhD in Plant biochemistry and molecular biology at the Australian Centre for Plant Functional Genomics, where I love it and am doing quite well.

I am an avid reader of history, particularly ancient China (from 2000 BC to the end of the han dynasty in ~200 AD), but also find the French revolution, the Crusades, native American civilisations such as the Olmecs and subsequent Mayan and Aztec civilisations etc - you name it - very interesting.

Unfortunately, I am yet to travel overseas - that can only occur when I can afford it (although I will be going to America to the Dupont headquarters for 3-6 months as part of my PhD project). I have a girlfriend of just over 16 months, who I care for a great deal, and we have hopes of buying a house and getting married at the conclusions of our PhD's (she's doing her PhD in bioremediation - using bacteria to reduce the viscosity of crude oil). I most certainly do not know-it-all, as every time I learn something new I realise that there is yet more I am yet to learn, but I try my hardest to amass as much knowledge as possible.

I enjoy reading most of what people have to say on these boards - sometimes it might conflict with my views, but even then a certain post might teach me something. It might not be about evidence-based knowledge, it may instead be about human reasoning and other intangiable concepts.

For that I thank this forum and those who share their thoughts with me. I would like to apologise to all those christians who are offended by my heretical views, but they form the strongest of my beliefs. I can do little to hold my tongue when views are expressed which I consider to make no sense and have little to contribute to the topic at hand - I suppose that's my scientific background coming through - my views are consistantly analytical and reductionist in scope.

Sep 28, 2004
Mine is going to be short. Not much about me.

I'm twenty-three. I was raised christian by two christian parents. I am an only child. I did terribly in school, despite being told I had so much potential. I was an atheist by the age of thirteen, a pagan when I was fourteen through twenty one, and now I am agnostic. I graduated High School in 2001, and went to an art school in Philadelphia. I graduated from that school a year ago, moved out and have been working and supporting myself very well. I do art on the side and have a full time job at a bank.

I have no children, nor plan to in the near future. I am engaged, but we don't have any solid plans for that yet.

I'm extremely interested in the supernatural, though of course I am suspicious of it. I enjoy reading about psychology, religion and sociology. And of course, I am interested in scientific achievements.

When I was young, I used to read through the dictionary. I was a social pariah and considered very "weird". I have a hard time communicating in person sometimes.

I enjoy talking to people who have something to teach me. I don't argue religion much because I haven't formed any solid conclusions.

May 17, 2002
For me, I am a mixed asian male, who was adopted by a white family, and married a black woman, and into a black family, while living in a fairly close minded society (utah). My wife and I have visited her family in TX and California, and have had some pretty interesting experiences. I am currently in school, a community college, getting ready to transfer into a state college or university. I am studying sociology, however, i feel my life experiences far outweigh any degree i may attain, in sociology.

Oct 28, 2005
www.myspace.com
22 years old. Black on one side, White/Native on the other. GED, A.A. and finishing my 2nd year of University--basically, I haven't not been in school since age 5. No preschool, but still caught up (and more) to my classmates. Selected for the "Gifted" program in 5th grade...quit because I disliked the special attention. Shitty grades in Junior High, worse in High School, B+ average in College. I hate Homework and Essays, but always do very well with Tests and Speeches.

I study Spanish and French, and hope to one day become a Substitute Foreign Language Teacher, while running a media company on the side (Rap Websites, DVDs, Magazines, and so on, mostly for/with/featuring NorthWest acts). Other than S&F, I enjoy Religion, Philosophy, Politics, Rhetoric, Debate, New Vocabulary, Slang, Linguistics, and just about anything else related to Words and their inherent power over Men. History is enjoyable. Sociology/Psychology is interesting, but not something I'm into very much. Natural Science is something I rarely study.

I enjoy working-out and playing basketball, and plan to start Brazillian Jiu-Jitsu this summer, and possibly add Capoeira in the Fall or Winter. Needless to say, studying in Brazil for a year would be awesome. Sometimes I do Rap music, but I'm not interested in rapping while I'm here in Bellingham. If/When I move back to the South Sound area, we'll see.

Mostly, I am here to improve my debate skills and pick up new vocabulary. This is very difficult to find at times, because many have this misguided opinion about "It's not the words you use, it's what you mean", or something like this. Suuuuure. I mean, you can SAY "word for word" or "personal"...but you might as well say Verbatim or Ad Hominem.

Anyhow, I have come to demand very much out of myself on these boards, and that has translated to a much higher ACTIVE (key word) vocabulary count, which has in turn lent itself to countless essays, projects, songs, conversations and so on.

That about covers it.

May 13, 2002
montyslaw.blogspot.com
19 years old, Mexican, and finishing off my 4th semester at Sac State. My major is journalism as of now, but not sure if I'm going to stick with it. I know I'm going to end up doing something in terms or writing though.

I was born in a little hick town on the north coast of california and llived my whole life there up until college. I grew up not the richest, but always had a roof and food available and with the little money my family made, we still ended up in Mexico almost every december.

College opened up my mind like nothing else had before; but no so much college in itself, but the whole experience and seeing the reality of how things are. I have always been proud of my heritage and culture, but now that I truly see the current system/government and what it has done to my people, I am enraged. Not only that, but I find myself extremely opposed to how in this system, the working class are merely arms and only seen as commodities for the production of wealth which they see very little of. I study the writings of Marx, Kropotkin, R. Flores-Magon, among others. I believe these and the many more minds of the past have set the blueprints for what the people of now and the future need to do, and I plan to do my part.

Nov 1, 2004
this seems like fun
alright im about to be 21, i went to high school and did not do very well at all, i really didnt care about school even though i knew i was smart, ive always known that i was smart. my best friend and i when we were younger would talk about all kinds of shit other people our ages knew nothing about, we both helped each other gain knowledge. i tried to goto community college but a few weeks after i started my parents had kicked me out the house and after that all i did was party and work. ive had many crazy life experiances such as i was the passenger in a high speed chase, in dealing with that, instead of telling on the driver or taking the fall myself, i joined the US Navy. scoring a 70 on the asvab i was qualitifed for 99% of the jobs in the Navy. now i am a Fire Controlman, i work on the NATO Sea Sparrow Surface Missile System, basically a defense missile system that shoots down any air target within 9 nm. i grew up in the Bay Area and now reside in San Diego after living in Chicago and Virginia Beach, im stationed aboard USS Bonhomme Richard LHD-6. being in the Navy has giving me a lot of knowledge about life and how big perception plays in the role of life.
anyways, thats all for me

Jul 4, 2002
can someone do my physics homework for me, im sure its easy???

hi deep thought, im just a twenty six yr old lady, mommy, wife, student...never really been out of sac, no religion, but lots of beliefs, not a very exciting life, but i consider myself an exciting person, i have alot of plans for the future hopefully i live long enough to see them through...

May 16, 2002
I'm 27 years old. Half Korean half Irish/German. Grew up in or around Military bases my whole life. Have lived in Antioch, Oakley, Stockton, Novato, Danville, Oakland, Alameda, San Diego, Silverdale, WA, Okinawa, Japan, Iraq, Went to basic in Kentucky, and currently reside in Colorado Springs, and will be going to Korea at the end of the summer. High school dropout. Got my G.E.D. at the Treasure Island Job Corps. Have had all types of jobs from fast food to dental lab work and currently in a combat MOS in the Army. Have tried just about every drug but mostly just smoked dank and drank. Was raised by my Korean mother. Have had four stepdads. My stable father figure was mexican married to my only aunt on my white side. So I have all types of "family" from all types of backgrounds and races, adopted, blood, and non-blood related. Have seen all types of shit from the ghetto to the suburban to the rich. I believe in God but I don't go to church because I believe he made and owns the whole earth not just specific houses or areas. I have witnessed and experienced war on all levels from government to the block from the physical to the mental to the spritual.

But uhh... none of that shit qualifies me to speak on shit. Because people form their own opinions about shit no matter what they go thru. What you wanna know you will find, and what you refuse to learn you will never understand. And I've been and seen hella shit in my short life and you know what I've come to find?
Every goddamn place has the same mothafuckin problems they only appear to be different thru a shallow mind.

Nov 10, 2002
H-TOWN
Good stuff.

I'm 34, born in Sac, raised in Southside Houston. I consider myself pretty bright. My moms worked in the Oil & Gas industry making pretty good money. I lived with moms, as her only child. My dad worked at the Ship Channel as a trucker making good money. My dad had four or five other kids depending on who you talked to. I never met my two older siblings, I saw my little sister after she was born and then did not see her again until she was 16, and then did not see her again, until my dad died and she was 23. We now have a good relationship. I met my younger brother when I was 20 and he was 19. Found out that he used to work for my first cousin on my mother's side. I loved learning up until the 5th grade. Then I got lazy and coasted through school. I went to college and then quit after two years to save money to go to college. I went back and finished with a BBA in Business Management. I have had numerous jobs. I finally figured out that I was not going to make it in the corporate world, so me and my business partner hooked up back in 2001 and went into real estate. At one time I owned five houses, now I owe three, getting ready to sell two. I permanently quit working for the man in January 2005. Currently, me and my business partner are going to go into concert promotions. I do not have a wife, I have had a few girlfriends, however, the longest relationship that I have had, has been four months. I have gained a reputation for being hard on women (I just expect a woman to be a woman and not the man). My favorite drink used to be Cisco, until it started tearing up my stomach. Now I will only drink occasionally. Never really did drugs, just a little weed (It does nothing for me). Never sold drugs or gangbanged, even though the pressure was there to do so. I love the siccness, that qualified me to post.

Aug 3, 2005
HMM LETS SEE
Im 20 years old as of TODAY (happy bday to me). I am a student of philosophy, pyschology, religion, spirituality, and other fields that will hopefully bring me closer to enlightenment. I aim to get a phd in transpersonal psychology and teach it. My mother was a freedom fighter in the iranian revolution prior to sneaking into America to give birth to me in Palo alto. Therefor, i am first generation Iranian-american. she now teaches practical philosophy so i soak up as much game from her as i can. I've traveled to Iran, France, China, Thailand, London, NY, Japan, and a buncha other places. I absorb other cultures like a spong and am constantly learning about new types of people and new perspectives on the world and life. I feel it is my purpose on this earth to expand the minds of as many people as possible and show people that are living in darkness the light that is their freedom of mind. however, at this point in my life i still have a ways to go before i can consider myself free of the conditioning this country has placed on me. so i continue to learnand learn some more and one day i hope to be able to translate all the wisdom i have acquired into my music and teachings and change the world as much as i can.

May 4, 2002
www.myspace.com
well i'm 19 years old, have no kids, and dropped out of highschool. I live in tulsa, oklahoma i have studied many religions (christianity, islam, NAtion of gods and earths;5%er's, and even satanism the unreligion.
I've experienced alotta shit in my life time my father was a doctor he is white my mother was black and she o.d.'d on crack cocaine, i found her dead myself. After that i started usin alotta psychadelic drugs mostly extasy and more recently DXM and i have learned much about life in a spiritual sense as a physical. I have saved people from suicidalism and taught folcx to value their life more and be more optimistic and not to worry about what you may never know or find out I.E. afterlife... but do try to live life to tha most righteous of your ability as well as being conscious of other people and how you may effect them with your own behavior, not just yourself.
But i most definitely feel i have earned a right to share my opinions, knowldge, and views on life, and issues in the world though i dont too much in here i try to express much useful information where i feel i should!